Alternator Fault

Got in the car this afternoon and the battery was dead, nothing. Managed to bump start and get home, and got multimeter out and with the engine running I'm only getting 8.84V across the battery. So got my VAGCOM out and it gave the following, which I'm assuming means the alternator has gone kaput. I've been doing some reading and before i fork out for a new alternator will check the wiring from the alternator but where exactly is the problem likely to be please??

If there is no wiring fault, I've 2 questions,

1 How easy is it changing the alternator on my MK Octavia 1.9tdi?

2 Which alternator should i go for from eurocarparts.com in which case which is the best version to go for? There seem to be so many different versions with so many prices varying from £90 to £360

I can see that it says 90Amp on my current alternator.

Chassis Type: 1U (1U - Skoda Octavia (1997 > 2011))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 22 29 35 36 37 39 46 56 76

VIN: TMBGP21U432701995   Mileage: 232040km/144182miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: Redir Fail!
   Part No: 038 906 012 CL
   Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG  3359  
   Coding: 00002
   Shop #: WSC 31480  
   VCID: 5CB772F2CC8B8AFEA8B-4B50
   TMBGP21U432701995     SKZ7Z0B1542057

1 Fault Found:
17911 - Load Signal from Alternator Term. DF
            P1503 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal
Readiness: N/A

So any help gratefully received please

Cheers

Have you checked the crimp connection at the battery fuse end of the alternator cable? Typically it will appeared burnt and the plastic parts around it will show signs of melting. Common problem. Replace the cable if this is the cause and don't try to cut back or recrimp as the damage to the wire strands will be many inches into the cable.

Thanks for the rplies, I checked all the wiring this morning and put the multimeter on the alternator it was givien 0.3v so seems like new alternator, so back to my second question which alternator to go for, I can get a 90amp from eurocarparts for just under £100, or a bosch for £150 after deposit refunded. It also lists 110amp and 140 amp versions, do i need that much power?

Had a final look around before forking out for a new alternator and found the wire from the alternator to the top of the battery has burnt away its connector and melted the platic in the box. So off to scrapyard for new cable and terminal box that sits on top of the battery. I just hope its this and that it's not goosed the alternator as well. Thanks again for the help guys