Couple of issues . . . .

bw10030

Hi all, a couple of questions following the purchase of my wifes 14 170 L&K 4x4 Yeti:

The first is a very strange one: After it has rained (i.e. when the car is wet), I can hear what for all the world soundls like water dripping onto a piece of plastic, rear of the car around the rear seats or boot area. However it is incredibly regular (once a secord or maybe a little faster - and here's the wierd thing, as soon as you turn of the engine and take out the keys, it stops! It also stops if you open a door. So maybe it is electrical, perhaps a relay clicking in / out or similar. I'll be taking back to the dealers for this and the fault below, but has anyone any idea when this might be as I am completely stumped!!!

Secondly, anybody ever had any burnt diesel / exhaust smells under the bonnet? I opened mine to see if I could find the fault above, and was immediately aware of a diesel smoke smell under there (the car had been stationary with the engine running for a few minutes). I guess there's a small exhaust leak somewhere (there is a bit of noise, but not too noticeable), but not immediately obvious. Again, anyone had similar, is there a known problem I can point at at or is it a case of allowing the garage to rummage around until they find it?

Other than that, a great car, we had the 140 before this andextra oomph makes a noticeable difference (it's better on fuel too . . . . .???)

Thanks in advance

Not sure about the clicking noise but if the fumes under the bonnet are not the usual suspects of manufacturing waxes and oils, or the DPF having a regen, then check the 'V band' clap between the turbo and DPF; one or two owners have had fumes from this area.

TP

Hi Thanks, it is definitely diesel smoke (an unusual smell these days), and it does sound like a slightly loose clamp, so (weather permitting - it's p*ing down t the moment!) I'll have a look in that area. It may just ned a gentle tightening and less to worry the dealer!

Almost to the word what I had, especially the bit about it stopping when a door or even window was opened or the engine (aircon) off. In my case it was one if not all of the panoramic roof drain tubes kinked/blocked (in a brand new car). Water in the tubes would not allow the cabin to vent air pressure build up from the air con system (more so when on full blast) creating a gurggling/clicking/popping noise from the rear roof area....open a door or window, which released cabin pressure and the noise stopped. It went in and had the roof lining dropped to sort the problem.

The full story...the dealer took it in and said they had sprayed water all over the car but could not find the problem. On the way home it occurred so I immediately drove back and asked the tech to sit inside the rear and listen...he then heard it and they kept it for another day or so. He suggested it was the vents somewhere in the boot but I pushed to have the roof vents inspected which turned out to be the fault.

Edited by DonjSZ5

OK, thanks - that sounds identical! I'll be off to the dealer soon and will have this up my sleeve when they don't understand what I'm talking about!

Thanks to all, and regards . . . .

Hi, had a rummage around the exhaust, and the earlier opinion of the clamp around the turbo / DPF seems accurate - there's definitely something wrong around there. But it does seem a b*gger to get to, so it will be looked at by the dealer when I can get there.