Cruise Control For Less!

I thought I'd share my Cruise Control purchase with you all as, lets be honest, the government gave itself a huge pay-rise and we're all struggling!

Firstly, get yourself a stalk. You can probably find one on the cheap second hand quite quickly, but an alternative is a cheap one from ebay from Poland. I bought from here: Stalk

The quality isn't as good as standard, however for this price its fine and I'd say would last at least 5 - 10 years.

Lastly, the lead is the most important thing. I bought a full cheap kit from Poland at first and it was no good at all as all the key termination points were not on the wiring loom!

However I found this great company in Germany (Cum-Cartec - Yes..). 

Link to Shop

If you e-mail them, they will happily supply a FULL wiring loom which is near-on plug and play for €30..thats £20 in today's money! 

Alternatively the FULL kit is HERE which is also a really good price too, however I cannot say if the stalk is ok too!?

The loom took about a week to arrive, which highly acceptable for the price.

So all in all, you can get yourself a cruise control kit for less than £40 - £50 which makes it a fantastic investment for making a car a more attractive buy and more importantly, more comfortable to drive.

Tips for an easy install:

The most tricky thing for me, was the multiple guides out there giving slightly different information. I did compile a load of it together in the end and found the best way for me.

The difficult points were:

- Working out how the clips on the back of the steering wheel work.

- Deciding to go into the ECU plug rather than find the plug point behind the dash.

Anyway, hope this is some help to someone thinking that cruise is a pricey buy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I was planning to do this (add cruise) until I realised I would also need to change the control unit as mine (Classic) is the 6q2 type. These (6q1 or 6q0) seem fairly cheap on the bay these days so I migght still be tempted.

Does anyone know if this control unit change is a plug and play swap or would the replacement need to be re-coded (appreciate I need VAG com for the cruise control). Also wondered if the control unit upgrade would allow me to change the lights stalk as well to gain the trip computer functions - anybody done this ?

Also - on the wiring front, I too got as far as realising that the cheaper wiring options did not seem to come with plugs apart from the stalk end. Given that the guides I saw used plugs, I wondered where the wires had to go - hopefully the cheap wiring kits would come with instructions that tell me ... but if I read you correctly "cum-cartec" supplies leads with all required plugs at a good price. Thanks for the tip.

Good question. Naturally I would have thought some coding would be needed, however you never know.

If that was me, I'd get the unit second hand from ebay, then if it didn't work,a lot of sellers allow returns. That way you are only shelling out for the postage. I'd hope that a bit of googling (other search engines are available) would come up with the answer.

You're correct that the cheap looms come without plugs which leaves you guessing however as you said, the German company I listed gives you the standard loom for very little money. Their customer service was good too.

You're right that's a cheap stalk.

If you wanted a trip to Ipswich I could certainly help you fit evading dealership costs, which could be high.

An install the first time took me in total a couple of hours. I expect its quicker once you have done it a few times. It's certainly not difficult there are just lots of steps. There are some good guides on this forum and on search engines.

The steelers have already quoted me £230. Thats without £15 for insuring a courtesey car for what would be a day.

I have no ways of activating cc either.

A trip to ipswich sounds good if i can book a day in my little familys diary lol.

Ill keep you updated on this cheers for offer

Genuine kit from Skoda can be had for £60. Includes a gen new stalk, genuine wiring loom and instructions in English.

Not worth ****ing about in my book.

You fancy a trip to peterborough sometime to install it please?

Cheers. Your approx 2hrs away.its abit far for me which is a shame.

But ill take your advice and purchase the whole kit from steelers.

When you did first ever install what did you find the most tricky part.

Regards