Tow bar bike carrier

The Octavia 3 apparently has a number of fancy things that happen to the electrics when you plug a lighting board in, which are intended for when towing.  Are any of them likely to cause a problem when using a tow-bar mounted bike carrier?  I guess the car won't know the difference!

Its a factory-fit tow bar + electrics.

Thanks!

If the bike carrier has a light board built in or you use a separate light board it should work just the same as hooking up a trailer/caravan etc.

Thats how my system worked on my previous car .

Normally with a factory fit tow bar or after market fit with dedicated wire loom and coding when something is attached to the towbar and hooked up to the 13 or 7 pin plug  then several things are monitored or configured out

i.e.

if you have rear parking sensors these get configured out

lamp failure on trailer/light board are indicated,

some newer caravans have ABS on them which is controlled by the car.

Im sure there are probably more but thats off the top of my head.

Short answer, no problems.

Works well, doesn't beep when reversing, can't engage Eco mode. ESP probably primed to deal with fishtailing that'll never happen with a bike rack. That's about it.

Niall

A little off topic, but if I want to wire up a lighting board for a cycle rack and I have no towbar/electrics fitted by Skoda....how/ what do I need..?

Edited by robs12

A little off topic, but if I want to wire up a lighting board for a cycle rack and I have no towbar/electrics fitted by Skoda....how/ what do I need..?

At a guess you will need to buy a dedicated wiring loom , 7/13 pin socket and wiring , then get  the car coded to suit.

Something like -

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/product_review2.php?partNo=%2B%2BSZEKVW0023

or

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/product_review2.php?partNo=%2B%2BSZEKVW0023%2F13