DVD recorder

kenny

hi all,

im on the look out for a DVD recorder. my VHS one is starting to show its age and fancied trying a DVD one. dont know much aboout them but have used them before.

budget under

Yep agree hard drive is a must.

We have a sony with a 160gb drive and you just record on the hard drive then watch it. Only if you want to keep it do we ever burn it. Its like Sky+ really no more tapes or discs potentially.

Drawback with non HD DVD recorders is that you can only record once on a standard DVD and you can't edit the content; i.e. remove commercials etc. Once the disk is full, that's it. With a HD you can edit recorded content and, if you want to keep it, burn it to a DVD. A halfway house is a DVD recorder that also records to RAM disks that can be re-written. I bought a Panasonic that records to RAM disks about 2 years ago but now wish I'd waited until I could afford a HD recorder. Another thing to check is that the DVD recorder/player is compatible with different DVD and CD formats.

Generally speaking the more you pay the better the options

Drawback with non HD DVD recorders is that you can only record once on a standard DVD and you can't edit the content; i.e. remove commercials etc. Once the disk is full, that's it.

I afraid I'll have to argue slightly with you on that one.

On my non-HDD dvd-recorder (unlike on a PC)you can multisession onto a DVD-R provided the disc hasn't been finalised. The recorder will simply find the next free space and record onto it. You can take the disc out and put it back in at a later date and carry on recording to it until the disc is full and then you have to finalise it to play on any other dvd player. You can edit out commercials this doesn't erase the data but merely tells the player to skip the section containing the commercial so on playback you don't see the commercial. However you do need to do this editing before you finialise the disc. ... You may as well use DVD-RW as they are not that much more expensive and IIRC you don't need to finalise these so you can go back and edit at a later date.(never tried this one yet)

I afraid I'll have to argue slightly with you on that one.

On my non-HDD dvd-recorder (unlike on a PC)you can multisession onto a DVD-R provided the disc hasn't been finalised. The recorder will simply find the next free space and record onto it. You can take the disc out and put it back in at a later date and carry on recording to it until the disc is full and then you have to finalise it to play on any other dvd player. You can edit out commercials this doesn't erase the data but merely tells the player to skip the section containing the commercial so on playback you don't see the commercial. However you do need to do this editing before you finialise the disc. ... You may as well use DVD-RW as they are not that much more expensive and IIRC you don't need to finalise these so you can go back and edit at a later date.(never tried this one yet)

same here only I have about 10 DVD +RW discs I backup Sky+ recordings I want to keep onto. I never need to finalise my discs. I eventually copy them over to DVD-R on the pc and wipe the original.

Sky + is great. If you are wanting to record programmes off Sky onto a HDD and then copy what you want onto DVD then Sky+ with a cheap DVD recorder is the way to go. It's a lot more user friendly, flexible and less messy than using an external HDD built into a DVD recorder.

You also have the benefits of recording and watching 2 programmes at once or recording 2 programmes while watching a previously recorded programme. You also have the series link function and a surround sound optical output. Hard to beat at the money.