Indicator noise after cancelling indicators, seems intermittant

Seems to have started yesterday. I'm getting the indicator ticking noise after I cancel the indicators, for a random length of time. Double speed sometimes. The indicator lights don't actually flashwhen it is doing this, and otherwise the indicators work as they should (flash normally, no bulbs out etc.).

Will it be the relay? Where abouts is it located?

Thanks

Typical early symptom of failure of the emergency flasher switch in the centre of the dash. It is dual function and is the indicator relay too.

Place something thin and hard adjacent to the switch to protect the facia and then lever it out with a thin blade. Unplug the wiring connector and replace the emergency/indicator relay/switch.

Cost is just over £30 from any VAG dealer.

BUT before you do that spray contact cleaner over the stalk base to clean up the switch contacts as this may also be a lesser cause of the symptoms.

Relay is the problem 80% of the time and quick (relatively cheap) fix - mine still does it from time to time but if I park and wiggle the stalk up and down a fair bit it then goes away for a month or so. New stalk is easy enough to do but getting a new genuine one is not that cheap :(