Annoying rattle when going over bumps

Afternoon Briskys

Over the last few days I appear to have acquired a rather annoying noise that seems to be coming from the rear offside wheel area. When I go over uneven bits of road (and let's face it that's a lot of the time) I get a tinny rattle noise from the wheel area. If this isn't annoying enough when braking at slow speeds when I initially push the brake pedal down there is a sort of tick sound from the wheel. I've had the wheel off and a look around the brakes and cannot see anything lose or anything that might lead to these sounds.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent ages looking for a problem like this and even changed a few bits. I eventually found out it was the radiator knocking on the chassis because of broken mounts. Takes two minutes to check it so well worth doing before taking anything apart.

Er, there are no rear bottom ball joints on any Octy 1 except the 4x4.

Given that you have a vRS and hence rear discs, I suspect a worn-out pad, a seized piston (failing to take up free play and leaving pads free to rattle in caliper) or the disc shield.

Have you noticed either increased brake pedal travel or reduced handbrake effectiveness since the rattling started?

Er, there are no rear bottom ball joints on any Octy 1 except the 4x4.

Given that you have a vRS and hence rear discs, I suspect a worn-out pad, a seized piston (failing to take up free play and leaving pads free to rattle in caliper) or the disc shield.

Have you noticed either increased brake pedal travel or reduced handbrake effectiveness since the rattling started?

Oh yeh, rear, missed that bit!

ignore my ball joint suggestion in that case!

I also had a similar issue and it turned out to be the rear exhaust silencer hitting the suspension spring....

My stainless exhaust is massive though hence why it was hitting and needed to be adjusted, although the standard silencer leaves loads of room. Worth a look all the same.

Just an update had the wheel and the calliper off. Didn't seem seized and wound in easy enough. Copper greased bits and put all back together and now no noise :) woohoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk