Performance Issue

Had the VRS for just over a year now and have recently been experiencing a lack of power.

Car starts, runs and drives fine, the turbo seems to work ok under normal use but when accelerating enough to overtake, the car stops accelerating and it sounds and feels as if the engine judders. This issue was enough on one occasion to make the engine light flash for 20 seconds or so. Could this be a faulty actuator or coils?  Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

Hi, doesn't sound like actuator, would probably be more gradual (drop off in boost).  Sounds like coil/s to me, however it could be many things (coolant temp sensor, n75, maf, wiring on coil harness etc), check your plugs too.  As the eml flashed under misfire see what code was logged with vcds, if it is coils it could pinpoint a cylinder.  Did this car undego the recall for revised coil packs?  Could be worth ringing your local dealer to find out and getting 4 free new ones if it applies.  In the meantime try and drive around the problem, if its misfiring you dont really want unburned fuel in the system.

As above.

Could be many things so you need to get it read for fault codes, if the EML has been on there should be a code stored in the ECU.

Check with you local Skoda dealer to see if you car is covered by the VAG coilpack replacement campaign, they'll replace them for free if it is.

Thanks, yes their was a recall on the coils, I am booked with Skoda for these to be checked and replaced under warranty.

I will update next week with the outcome :)

Edited by LikeToDrive

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just an update as promised.

The flashing EML stored a pinpoint code on the ECU relating to a misfire on one of the cylinders.

Skoda replaced all coils under warranty due to the recall at no extra cost and this solved the problem - they even conducted a free health check and service wash.

The car now runs as it should although at this stage I will now be replacing the spark plugs and getting the car serviced as required.

@ pauldazzle and YellowCar Thanks for you help!

• Like 2