Slightly over due cambelt

Hey chaps,

My 57reg Fabia 1.4tdi is slightly overdue a cambelt change, it's got nearly 48k on it, and been a 57 it's around 8 years old, also it's never had a cambelt done, so 4 years late.... I've booked it in tomorrow, using genuine VAG parts, quoted £324.(also getting new brake fluid, water pump and engine coolant while the works been done)

Now before I get told off for been a Moron, in the manual/ service book it says 120,00km (around 60k I believe) and no mention on time. It was only when I was messing around on the internet last night that I noticed on the vw websi

As well to do care and preventative maintenance.

The Volkswagen group give all sorts of Servicing Intervals / Guidelines, and these differ for identical engines in a VW, Skoda, Seat , Audi.

Differ from when issued as Engines are Produced, and then released, then fitted to different Models or Brands.

They even have different advice / schedules from Private or Fleet uses.

Just go with what is sensible, and if you ask Customer Services at VW you get all sorts of different answers, as you do at Skoda, Seat or Audi.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK. 

Keep them guessing.

120000km is 75000 miles, so unsure if Skoda are changing the rules due to failures or just creating work for themselves. The 3 cylinder1.4 TDI may be a little harsh on its belt due to the firing sequence, but I would expect any changes in belt material to result in extended times between periodic maintenance, not a reduction as indicated.

I have the same engine and was advised 60k or 4 years by my local independent garage (who I trust more than any other).

I have read on here that the 1.4 pd wears the belt faster therefore you seem to have been lucky! Drive carefully on your way tomorrow on its last journey...

It's in the garage now so it's his problem!

And as a few have said, I think that they may have changed there minds about cambelt intervals due to premature failures, as it's a PD engine, the belt runs the cam, fuel pump and water pump!

Personally I would have guessed after 5-6years the rubber would begin to degrade! So at 8 years old I've got it done the day after realising the situation!

I'm hoping the garage keep the belt to show me, it will be intersting to see !

• Like 1

Don't think that you will see anything wrong with the belt, recently changed mine at 160K miles and 8 years old. Last change was at about 75K miles by previous owner, and there was no sign of degradation after 85K miles but that does not say that the internal windings could not be failing. Just ordered cam belt kit and waterpump for the Greenline, which is on about 65K miles and is 6 years old, as it is due an MOT and never have been happy with smoke test so consider £85 cheap insurance.

Cambelt done! I've tried to attach an image of the old one, I can see where it has started cracking at the edge of the teeth!, the guy who did it was more than happy for me to inspect the old parts which was good of him !

Benji, yes that's a good example of an overdue cambelt change. You have been very lucky. In fact, most cam belts wear from the inside out. It's the damage inside you cannot see that dictates how long the belt will go before breaking. I've done the various factory cambelt courses offered to techs through manufacturer training and it's rarely the cracks on the outside that are the problem, and that's why it's so difficult to understand why some techs say "yeah, the cambelt looks fine" because you actually cannot tell by just looking! Glad your ok now with yours.