Intermittent starter and broken 110amp fuse

Would the 110amp fuse on top of the battery affect the operation of the starter motor? I believe it is for the alternator but I've just started having issues starting my 51 110 tdi.

On first turn of the key the starter didn't turn over. Thought it was odd, tried again and it started fine. Stopped later and tried to start but again no starter. This time didn't restart. Called the breakdown people after 30 mins, and the another 10 mins later tried again and she restarted. Has since restarted fine but am worried.

Thought I'd check and clean the battery terminals etc to see if there was a some issue and I found the terminal the 110 amp connects to was cracked and dirty. Looks like it had been arcing across as there is white residue on the fuse box casing.

Either way I need a new 110 amp fuse (are these dealer only?) but would really like to find out if this is the cause if the starting issue and it's not the starter on its way out.

Really need to trust the car will start so I can get to and from work.

Any advice appreciated

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The part number of the 110A fuse is N 10424905, according to this page item 20, fourth from the bottom of the list.

Neither Ebay nor Google are particularly dripping with opportunities to buy this part number, but there is one that appears to be available mail-order.

Dealer/TPS probably slightly cheaper by the time you've added P&P to that online one, if you happen to have a dealer/TPS on your way to somewhere.

With regard to the starter intermittentness, this is often a bad contact at the connector, or an almost broken solenoid-energising wire. This is the thinnest wire that goes to the starter motor. Not sure how easy that is to inspect on your car.