More upmh after service

Nos

So I brought my Combi for second service 30000km

The first thing I noticed after collecting the car that it became more responsive. 1.6 does not encourage to push it to the red line but for some reason it really does feel that it has more pulling power.

I'm wondering if the dealer changed mapping or something else while doing service.

Did anyone else had anything like that before or is it just me? 

Edited by Nos

New plugs, air filter and fresh oil will all help contribute. I don't think the ECU will be touched at all (only vcds to diagnose any fault codes and reset Hingis ready for next service). But stand corrected as ever :). Glad it feels better/more spiritedly to drive!

Dave

• Like 1

Fresh oil, lower viscosity, reduced friction, new air filter, fresher and cleaner air allowing the engine to breath easier.

And of course the placebo effect  :sun:

• Like 1

It's amazing what a service can do. I always notice a surge in performance but of course there is the placebo effect as silver says! It often wears off a day or so!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick Google search...

If I drain old oil from my engine, it seems thick and black, why?

Oil, like fine red wine, ages and oxidises.  The process of oxidation is naturally occurring in the oil, but the rate at which this happens depends on the following factors:

Temperature – the higher the temperature, the shorter the oil life.  Based on the Arhenius Rule, for every 10°C increase in temperature above 40°C, the oil life is halved.

Moisture – the more water present the faster the oxidation rate

Oxygen – the more oxygen from splashing induced by low oil levels the faster the oxidation rate

Catalytic reactions – most typically from copper and other wear debris particles

The condition of the engine – ring wear, fuelling etc

The quality of the base stock oil in terms of the levels of impurities

The quality of the additive pack in terms of the anti-oxidants available to slow down the oxidation rate of the oil.

As the oil oxidises, there are two parallel problems arising. 

• Firstly, as a result of the oil molecules reacting and joining together, the oil becomes thicker and darker.  The heavier the molecules become, the heavier, or thicker, the oil gets to be.

• Secondly, a by-product of the oxidation is the formation of acids, which increases the risk of corrosion of component surfaces.  Examine an old engine and look at the chemical damage that is visible on the surface of the component.  It is always advisable to change the oil prior to storing a classic for Winter rather than at the end of storage.

Good to know that I'm not the only one crazy here :D
BTW: never noticed this before with my Mark I Superb and it went through a good amount of services in 5 years.

feel good factor after spending £150+

Never feel good when I'm parting with my cash especially when I've could have done it 2 times cheaper myself.

Never feel good when I'm parting with my cash especially when I've could have done it 2 times cheaper myself.

hey, I am Captain Tight, im with you on that

My Superb is on 20K for oil and 40K for filters, at proper prices it could have all done every 15K and get a proper job

not buying that for a minute

heat up oil. it gets thinner, oil oil thinner still. if that was right oil would turn solid eventually?

I'm no oil expert but it is common knowledge that oil gets thicker as it ages.