Request for help/friendly Garage in Hampshire/Winchester?

Colinjb

My car is driving me to distraction. It has a boost leak, nothing obvious on the top pipe, but I need to get under it and check where it's happening, it also needs shorter drop links fitting but the passenger side wheel is fused on and the drop link on the drivers side will not budge, at all. It's so f**king frustrating. The parts are £30. To make a new lower pipe for the exhaust it's £80 or so..... I have a really tight budget with a child on the way. I cannot afford to pay £150 fitting fees, I just need some assistance.

These are not difficult jobs, but I don't know anyone who can help me. Briskoda forum members, can anyone help me at all here? 

Edited by Colinjb

We left Andover 7 years ago, but Station Garage up by the railway station (I wonder how they got their name?) used to be very helpful and inexpensive. Tel 01264 351344

Do you just need guidance on what to do?

Droplink wise, you could hacksaw the old ones off if your replacing them, it's relatively straight forward to do and I've had to do it on several previous cars. (Shout if you need a bit more of a steer on this).

If you wheel is corroded to the hub just whack it with a rubber mallet whilst gradually rotating it. Alternatively, Jack the car up and do the same thing but on the inside edge of the rim.

The exhaust might be a bit more involved as I don't think I fully picture what your replacing, but I'm confident you'll be able to nail the other bits.

Is access to tools etc an issue though?

sent from my Galaxy Note 4

• Like 1

Do you just need guidance on what to do?

Droplink wise, you could hacksaw the old ones off if your replacing them, it's relatively straight forward to do and I've had to do it on several previous cars. (Shout if you need a bit more of a steer on this).

If you wheel is corroded to the hub just whack it with a rubber mallet whilst gradually rotating it. Alternatively, Jack the car up and do the same thing but on the inside edge of the rim.

The exhaust might be a bit more involved as I don't think I fully picture what your replacing, but I'm confident you'll be able to nail the other bits.

Is access to tools etc an issue though?

Tools shouldn't be a problem. I have a reasonable ratchet set, can get some axle stands (although, axle stands on sil mounting points?) Rubber mallet for the wheel is an idea.....

As for the exhaust, it's actually the turbo charger turbo to intercooler line, relating to the aforementioned boost leak. Access is the main thing. I cannot understand how the wheel can be corroded on already, the suspension was only switched over a few weeks ago! The wheel on all ocrners will have come off for that.

Any advice on sawing off the old links is appreciated.

When you next have a look at the drop link job, you should be able to see where you can slide a hack saw or even dremel/angle grinder in like on the picture below. Don't worry about damaging the boot on the drop link as your replacing them anyway. Does this help make it any clearer?

20150909_181539_zpszgrppndq.jpg

20150909_181557_zpsf6hi9xnf.jpg

In terms of supporting the front of the car on axle stands, this is what I normally do and I think quite a few other lads do on the forum. Hopefully the picture is clear in terms of location underneath etc?

20150627_095655_zpsgptxxtzj.jpg

• Like 1

Thankyou Ash.

In you experience, can you change the drop links one side at a time? Or does the FARB need to be disconnected/unstressed to allow for fitment of the shorter links?

Thankyou Ash.

In you experience, can you change the drop links one side at a time? Or does the FARB need to be disconnected/unstressed to allow for fitment of the shorter links?

No problem mate. I'd advise definately jacking up both sides of the front of the car when your taking out the drop links. This will remove any stress on the arb so it doesn't spring/jerk when you release one droplink. It'll be a complete bitch to get your new one in as well if this did happen and it could also spring and hurt you (worst case).