high mpg

I don't think anyone alive gets book MPG figure from their car - if they tell you they do then they're lying :) Even the manufacturers say that the figures are not real world and are only for comparing between cars. I dont know many cars with this level of performance (apart from some new high performance diesels from BMW etc) that'll return much better fuel economy. I was looking at Volvo V50 T5s and Mondeo ST220s when I bought my VRS and those would both be in the low/mid 20s!

I get better than the manufacturers figures out of mine (I average 6.7L/100km 42mpg) but I concede that my daily 90km commute, which takes up 90% of my driving is almost ideal for achieving good figures.  I use the wife's company car on the weekends - if I had to use the Octavia as the weekend runabout then my consumption average would be about 20% higher.

I would love to get near 400 miles from a tank!

I just get upset if I don't make it to 400 :)

I don't drive like a pensioner, although I also don't drive like a tw** (not that I'm suggestion anyone here does - just describing).

Right now, for example, driving into work, miles since last fill up are at 386 and the "please refuel" light (indicating 60 miles left - but I'm convinced that is an under estimation) has just popped on.

• Like 1

Agree with Stoofa, I can get a bit over 400 to a tank but only if a fair amount of it's motorway and A roads rather than around town. Also recommend you keep an eye on tyre pressures as I've noticed an improvement by keeping them where they should be, as well as not carrying too much excess clobber around in the massive boot!

• Like 1