SAI Relay Removal

jamesmall

A common problem for many, my VRS is lumpy and hesitant while the SAI is running for the first 60 seconds on any journey.

I asked a local VAG expert the cost of full removal of the system and was quoted £220, which is a bit above my budget.

Would simply removing the relay for this system work in bypassing it? I'm not worried about the EML coming on, I just want a simple solution to this annoying issue...

I removed the system myself (pump, pipes and valve), and put a blanking plate over where the valve sits on the passenger side of the engine, then had it mapped out when I got it remapped a while back, had no issues since. Don't think removing the relay would help, only bring up warning light.

220? That's pretty funny. It was next on my to do list before my car died to remove and delete it. I'm no expert mechanic but was fully prepared to do it myself. There's a good how to by Bowders on here and you'll do it for a lot less than 220. Check ebay or awesome gti for the blanking plate. And you need a resistor to 'trick' the ecu into getting a signal. Can't remember the size resistor now but a search will tell you.

Yes, if you just pull out the relay and leave everything else in place as standard, it will deactivate the system but obviously throw up the CEL and give you an error code.

I ran mine like that for some time as the noise of the fan became really loud and irritating!

Like others I eventually removed all the hardware (pump, valve, N112 and pipes) and had it mapped out by Shark to stop the CEL coming on. I used the Forge blanking plate and I haven't used any resistors. I've been running it like this for 3.5yrs.

You could always just have the system mapped out, but leave the hardware in place. Only reason to pull out the hardware is to clean up the engine bay and give you more room to work on other things.