New Owner Questions

bxe

Hi

I became the owner of a 60 plate Elegance Estate last week and so far it's been great, seems much better built than my SEAT Leon that I had previously.

A few things have confused me though, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Is there any way to cycle between the radio and other audio sources from the steering wheel controls or maxidot menu? I used to be able to do this in my Leon (MY07) but I can't find a way to do it in the Octavia?

I've noticed a wiring connector under the bonnet that isn't plugged together. It's near the bonnet catch and only has two wires. My initial thought was to do with the alarm, but with it not connected surely the alarm would activate? Is there any reason for this connector being left unplugged? As everything seems to work I left it unplugged...

I've read about a dipping nearside wing mirror but can't find an option in any of the menus? I'm guessing this feature isn't on my car?

So far so good with the car, really happy with it. Feels so solid after the SEAT.

Thanks in advance

Edited by bxe

There are two different buttons sets for the MK2 FL steering wheel, so it will either have a phone button or a source select button.

If you have the phone one currently, you can switch the buttons (airbag off job but simple enough) to source select style pretty easily. It's not something that can be altered otherwise as it's the buttons which decide on the function, unless you take them apart to change a resistor.

I wouldn't expect the reverse dip mirror unless you have electric folding mirrors and probably electric memory seats too. It can be added if you buy a memory motor but I think you might also need to make sure the door controller supports it. Not too sure on mirror stuff as it's mostly only L&K models that have them fitted.

Not sure about the connector though, maybe post a picture so we can have a look?

Thanks for the reply....

I thought it was just strange with all the options available via the steering wheel / maxidot that I'd have to lean across to the radio to switch between sources. It's not a big issue, just something I was able to do in my Leon.

Likewise with the mirror, in my mind I thought it was just a simple option that could be enabled in the menu. I should just be grateful that the Octavia has decent sized mirrors - they've got to be twice the size of the ones on the Leon!

I've taken a photo of the connector, it's really puzzling me. If it is for a bonnet shut confirmation then I'm surprised that with it unplugged I can use the wipers, wash the windscreen and not have the alarm trigger every time I set it. It's a simple two wire plug, both wires are brown.

20150927_123206_1.jpg

The connector in the photo is for the bonnet open warning light and audible signal. If you maxidot it shows on the diagram of the car on the display or, if you don't have it, a symbol lights up on the instrument cluster.

I can only guess that the switch is faulty. It is obviously "live" when the bonnet is open and the previous owner unplugged it to stop the light and audible signal coming on all the time the bonnet was actually shut.

Try reconnecting it and see what happens with the bonnet open and shut.

If you have the owners manual it's explained on page 24 and 33.

I'm sure someone else will answer and explain how to fix it.