Need advice on upgrading head unit

matt3352

Hi all, just purchased a 2011 Superb SE TDi 170 and it has the Bolero head unit.

I'm looking to upgrade and have seen lots or people talking about Columbus, could anyone offer advice on what I would need and approx costs of any recoding etc to make this upgrade, ideally I'd like DAB and Bluetooth along with the sat nav and full integration into my maxi dot.

Not sure if it's relevant or they are even that but seems to be mini speaker / receivers in the overhead light console but currently no phone connectivity that I can find or work out.

Appreciate any help you can offer

If you don't have DAB and nav at the moment, and you don't have Bluetooth, then you have quite a big job on really.

You'll need Columbus unit, gps antenna, and DAB antenna (of some sort). Then you'll need a Bluetooth module. Then everything fitting, and then finally coding to make it all work.

Columbus (non Dab) anywhere from £300 upwards. The more you pay the better the unit really. Columbus (DAB) anywhere from £450 upwards. Little to be gained by paying more as the only real benefit would be an SSD drive unit which would be a good bit more expensive. GPS antenna, a fiver. DAB aerial from £15 onwards depending on what you want (roof mount or window stick on type, etc.)

Bluetooth, anywhere from £100 upwards at a guess.

Thanks for you're reply. Isn't the Bluetooth built in to the unit ?

Also with the Bluetooth do you get full iPod / iPhone control ?

I've also read about the Amundsen unit, is this maybe a more cost effective option ?

Bluetooth is a separate unit for all the OEM head units. The only exception are some of the Amundsen Plus units which have Bluetooth built in. Not all of them do, so make sure before buying, and the Amundsen Plus unit is very different to the Amundsen unit despite both looking very much the same.

As for ipod control, I have no idea. Never used such stuff. All my music is stored on the hard drive or sd card.

I've recently done this on mine / all prices are approx depending where scorched from.

columbus led version £390 non dab / dab version £495 plus

factory roof aerial £40 non dab used / dab factory roof £75 new - £60 used

4x 5m cables £6 each

factory bluetooth kit depending on version required rsap or not rsap inc microphone £150

steering wheel buttons if phone mode required £80

vcds coding beer money to friendly member local to you.