Unpainted bumper trim

XLBaconDoubleCheese

I've recently bought a new car which has a lot of unpainted black trim on the bumpers, in fact, it's got it on the bumpers, fog light surrounds, side skirts and the rear diffuser. I have two questions for you guys in the know;

Firstly, recommend me a good unpainted plastics gel? I've got Autoglym bumper and trim which has given me pretty impressive results, I'm not sure how long before it'll need reapplying or how durable it is? Never really used it before since most of my cars have painted trim now. 

Second question, I've got loads of this honeycomb grill stuff, it's not got holes in but looks like it;

16924A51-005C-47C4-8A80-429554C232BE_zps

I ended up using a key to push the mircofibre cloth in the gaps but it still didnt get right in the corners. Is there a easier way? 

Thanks in advance for any help! 

• Like 1

I used Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel for my plastic trim. Not overly durable though and have to reapply after a month or so. I've also used Poorboys Natural Look dressing, which also gives similar durability. The best I've used in terms of durabilityis Autosmart Trim Wizzard, lasting a couple of months, but leaves a sticky residue on bodywork if not applied tidily.

As for the honeycombs grill, I use cotton earbuds :D

Product wise - from what I have at the moment, I would start with either KKD Trim-X or Tyresol.

You could look at more permanent solutions from Gtechniq and CarPro coatings.

Applicator wise.... I'm currently using swabs like this..... which work very well.

No fibres to come loose in the gel/product and these spread and absorb product very nicely. :thumbup:

$_57.JPG

• Like 1

Product wise - from what I have at the moment, I would start with either KKD Trim-X or Tyresol.

You could look at more permanent solutions from Gtechniq and CarPro coatings.

Applicator wise.... I'm currently using swabs like this..... which work very well.

No fibres to come loose in the gel/product and these spread and absorb product very nicely. :thumbup:

$_57.JPG

Where are the swab things from? I did think cotton buds but thought they'd get fur everywhere!

Thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 2

Where are the swab things from? I did think cotton buds but thought they'd get fur everywhere!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Various types/packs on eBay.... I just searching "detailing swabs" :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdetailing+swabs.TRS0&_nkw=detailing+swabs&_sacat=0

• Like 1

Thank you! They look likely they'll be handy for lots of awkward areas on the car

• Like 1

I dont know what happened to my last post quoting this lol. 

Are there any downsides? I thought I was going to have to redo them all every month or so, if I can do them for long term, even only having to reapply bi yearly or yearly then that'd be good! 

If you'd not guessed I'm kinda new to this car cleaning stuff. :D 

I dont know what happened to my last post quoting this lol. 

Are there any downsides? I thought I was going to have to redo them all every month or so, if I can do them for long term, even only having to reapply bi yearly or yearly then that'd be good! 

If you'd not guessed I'm kinda new to this car cleaning stuff. :D

There are no down sides...Just make sure the plastic being treated is grease and product free...IPA or Prepaint type product, CarPro Eraser..etc  are all good for this