Removing Tailgate Interior Trim

graham186

I've successfully fitted a camera in the front of my Yeti and I'm now looking to fit one in the rear. I want to pick up the power from the rear wiper switched feed and keep all of the wiring within the tailgate.

Has anyone managed to remove the trim and if so how, please? :wonder:

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Llan.....wrong 3.  He means 3 in the top diagram.....the "clips" " recondition or renew".  I am about to try take off tailgate trim to get at wiper motor which when in either of the 2 parked positions sometimes will not start again without moving the wiper arm a bit, then away it goes and stops and starts ok till next intermittent time when it will not start.

I understand it is easy to break something on these clips (the turret??) which may need a new trim!!  So please what is knack to getting clips released?  Photo of assembly showing clip and turrets would be good.

Any pointers what to get at and contacts to clean for the wiper parking positions; one positioned right against the bottom of the glass and second position just above (after every second wipe??)

(Have just done comprehensive overhaul of wipers/switches on my Lucas system fitted to my Reliant Scimitar).  I have switch cleaning fluid and contact grease.

Dennis

Edited by DensYeti
typo

• 4 weeks later...

Any answers to this one please?  Tailgate wiper has now stopped in the position just above the bodywork and will not go again even with nudging as previously.  Is there another thread on the wiper motor....I need to know contact/circuit diagrams and how it works.

Fortunately it worked for the recent MOT!!

Hi there, just like one of your other correspondents below I have a rear wiper which does not move at all; it used to work occasionally, but then stopped dead some months ago. Because I'm basically a cheapskate I don't wish to pay my local Skoda garage over 300€ to fit a new one, so I've removed the rear trim to access the motor. Having checked the fuse (#6) and found it to be intact I want to check the wiring to see if there's feed going to the motor, before removing the motor as a last resort.

I've downloaded the full wiring harness - uploaded by Arkaig - and found the relevant page (#15), but my problem is this...

The cable connected to the motor has 4 wires: brown, which is earth, and 3 others, all of which are plain white, which is rather odd as they should be black with green, green with white and green with rt (the colour for which I can't even find).

Can anybody shed any light on this apparent anomaly please?

could be red, but I scanned up and down a few pages and in the colour keys I only found pink (rs) 

Anyway despite not understanding I've tested all 3 white wires against brown with the rear wipe switched on and all show 12v, which was what I needed to know, as it means the motor is kaput!

Hmmm. I wouldn't know what I found if I took it to bits!

My expertise extends as far as removing and reinstalling, but not disassembling.

New motor bought, fitted and working.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

seen this item to remove tailgate trim, but can anyone tell me how I fit a new pull down handle, does it need a fixing screw?

cheers

DobieG

14 hours ago, DobieG said:

Hi,

seen this item to remove tailgate trim, but can anyone tell me how I fit a new pull down handle, does it need a fixing screw?

cheers

DobieG

Did you not see the instructions in the 2nd post?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8319/8057108546_59f7bb74b9_c.jpg

managed to fit new pull down handle without taking the trim off, just used some good silicone grease for rubber, and managed to fiddle it into place to get the fixing screw back through the mounting hole in the handle, job done.

• 3 months later...

Having fitted a new motor from Auto Dock it works in slightly different way (simpler?).  Here are some photos.

The cover over the end of the wiper arm..just leaver out and up around bottom and it pivots up at the 2 little hook bits sticking out on top right so then just pull off arm.DSCF1368.thumb.JPG.5d7f983bf99a7fa5142ccde296b76b07.JPG

Inside of cap showing small protrusions that hold it in place

DSCF1372.thumb.JPG.b883dc903b5c8ad1e23e1b4f9a708d91.JPG

The arm is pushed onto a tapered spline on the motor spindle.  That can be a bit corroded and difficult to get arm pulled off after the nut has been removed.....much Plus Gas over a few days.  The washer nozzle will just pull off the end.  I used a couple of C shaped plates inserted between end of wiper arm against which to leaver......could not get my medium size 3 leg puller to pull arm off.  Believe there is a small puller that does the job with centre bolt acting against the motor spindle where the washer nozzle has been pulled off.

DSCF1375.thumb.JPG.fa2223244989c202bbb4f1deb0e3d675.JPG

More...removing tailgate panel.

This shows the position of the turrets with the V shaped spring clips that just push into slots in the metal of the tailgate inner skin.  On each vertical side there are 3; at bottom there are 3 on each side of the lock cut out; along top there is one on its own then the next is up un the hump, then 2 further along.  Mine had 3 clips missing!

DSCF1378.thumb.JPG.882560cd3b119b415be0f20677885621.JPG

Edited by DensYeti

Limited file size...so here continues.

This shows the clip in the turret and how it slides out after slightly squeezing.  Mine had 3 clips missing!DSCF1380.thumb.JPG.4c891879780e1cf73e5beff503f62d73.JPG

Edited by DensYeti

The wiper motor with the lid pulled off the printed circuit board box (PCB)...it just leavers off.

DSCF1415.thumb.JPG.c6bb07e7690898b4afa7501f918e3038.JPG

At the bottom is the 4 terminal connector.

The top left corner of the PCB box has a raised channel that runs diagonally up and to the left and where it meets the end of the motor you can see 2 round white dots with black centres.  these are where terminal prongs of the motor touch inside the lid to supply the motor with 12V; the top one being + and lower one -ve.

Pull off the washer nipple from the end of the wiper spindle so the   supply pipe will come away with the lid. The 9 Torx screws can be taken out and the lid lifted off to see the interior simple mechanism for moving the wiper arm and to expose the 2 motor terminals. Nothing falls off or becomes displaced doing this. Silicone grease can be renewed on the mechanism.

Put a 12V supply across the motor terminals as above and it should run the motor and drive the mechanism......mine did so it must be the PCB at fault.  The top left corner of PCB shows 2 larger soldered oblong terminals where the motor connections are connected.

The lower, -ve of the motor connects via the lower of these 2 solder terminals to the left solder terminal of the 4 on the bottom of the board and then to the left plug terminal (brown wire to loom).  I don't know what the other 3 terminal inputs do but they must be the different supplies to the board to control the 2 parking positions, 1 wipe on engaging reverse (sometimes?), and delay between wipes.

Since motor and mechanism are in good condition I would like to just connect a +ve from one of the terminals/socket pins to the motor so that it runs again simply switching on/off at the column stalk but hesitate to experiment in case I upset another bit of the circuitry within the car.

I was hoping there might be someone much cleverer than me that might be able to work out what goes on on the PCB??  As a retired electronics engineer used to working on far more complex equipment down to fault finding to component level I am stumped without a circuit diagram and description.  Who knows, it might just be a very cheap component that has gone US and can be replace/bypassed.

Edited by DensYeti

Dont try hot wiring it as the column stalk switch will not be supplying the motor operating current in the manner that you expect.

That PCB is a canbus communication node, the motor has one large power cable and another for earth, the other cables are the twisted pair canbus communication network.

Nothing wrong with your thought process except that things have moved on since then, I once had exactly the same intentions until I looked further.

Tha canbus transmits the status of the column switches, slow wipe, fast wipe, intermittent, delay setting and any other one wipe commands like when reversing with the front wipers on, the canbus node in the motor takes care of all the timings, arm park settings and (over)load sensing.

You could hotwire it but would need to rig up a separate switch wired straight to the motor but I bet it wouldn't self park and may even run too fast and overheat without the motor control.

• Like 1

Just to add to the complication the wires from the wiper control switches do not even go to the front or rear wipers, they go to the Body Control Module which monitors their status and those of all the other inputs (reverse gear selection for example) and sends a signal via canbus to the wiper motor node of the required action.

• 1 year later...

Well, I foolishly removed the tailgate grab handle in preparation for removing the tailgate cover. I've found it impossible to -

a) remove the cover.

b) get the grab handle back in place.

And I've tried, believe me I've tried.