Lowering on coilovers

Hazz19

I've lowered my 1.2 fabia and it keeps snapping my cv joints currently using joms coilovers and 15" alloys what's best way to get around to stop Cv joints snapping ? Can you uses drive shaft spacers or put bigger alloys on to help the tension ? Friends have vrs Fabias and 6n2 polo and they had no problems but running bigger alloys

How low are you going for it to be killing the CV joints?!

Raise it up a bit? You'll struggle to loose the arch gap on 15s, your friends cars running larger wheels probably won't need to drop it as much for the same look. Maybe this is your problem that your going too low?

How low are you going for it to be killing the CV joints?!

Raise it up a bit? You'll struggle to loose the arch gap on 15s, your friends cars running larger wheels probably won't need to drop it as much for the same look. Maybe this is your problem that your going too low?

The circumference is the same if the correct tires are fitted. 14, 15 or 16'' wheels, doesn't matter, the gap will always be the same because due to decreasing sidewall height.

Later edit: ontopic:

1. The boots are rubbing on something, breaking at some point and allowing dirt and dust to get in. If you don't notice this quickly, you're cv joints are out pretty quick.

2. Poor quality of aftermarket parts.

3. How much do you like doing burnouts ? Due to the fact they do work in an odd angle, driving the car a little bit over it's 'usual' limits might add a lot of premature wear on the cv joints.

Edited by Alexandru

I suppose so but larger alloys do look to fill the space a lot better, even if the actual gap isn't that much different. 

The other option is to take it to someone who can do a proper 4 wheel alignment and get them to set up the coil-overs. I'd imagine the geometry to be well out going that low and they maybe able to see if there is anything else causing the problem while they are at it. A full set up usually costs about £80-£120 but it's well worth it. 

It's a 'color' contrast thing and not related to actual dimensions. If you measure the gap is exactly the same. This is why the speedometer shows the same figures with different wheel sizes.

Edited by Alexandru

The speedometer won't be the same unless the tyres are as close as possible to the originals diameter, often people don't follow this rule and it results in the speedo being thrown out. Either way I think we're going well off topic now lol.

I think the OP has simply gone too low for the other components to cope, the joints are probably being stretched beyond what they are designed for especially when going full lock. I echo what I say above, get it set up properly by someone who knows what they are doing. The car will drive and handle a lot better afterwards.