Best Bike Sat Nav?

Chunk11

Okay guys I am now starting to venture further afield on my 125 but find myself needing to memorise routes or keep having to stop and check my phone for directions.

I am after something reasonably priced and good for around £100-£200 if possible.

I have done a quick Google search which did not really help.

I have a normal car sat nav that I have used in tank bag before as it was a much bigger screen than the bloody expensive bike ones! But I only ever used it for a specific address or if touring on the fly to find camp sites or b&b's from the POI's last minute. I'd say if you need one while actually ridding the bike ones or a weather proof mountable case for a normal one would be best to keep it up and a bit more in line of site than trying to look straight down at a tank bag. There are some epic mobile cases you can mount on bike these days too, you'd want to power it too of course for obvious reasons.  

Okay having done a bit more research I have found a garmin which seems well priced although I need to increase my budget a bit:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/196541

I have then also thought about using my iPhone 5s and buying a handlebar mount although I'm not too sure how I would power it?

Straight to battery terminals with inline fuse is easiest.

For a few quid more you can have the later 660 model.

Waterproof, comes with Garmin car and RAM bike mounts,

Separate car charger, and  fused hard wire harness and mount for bike.

mp3 player, bluetooth connectivity including to most headsets, phone book synch,

free maps,  etc etc It also has a jack for wired headset if you prefer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Zumo-660-LM-FREE-Lifetime-Maps-With-EU-Maps-/252097183943?hash=item3ab229c0c7

Okay having done a bit more research I have found a garmin which seems well priced although I need to increase my budget a bit:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/196541

I have then also thought about using my iPhone 5s and buying a handlebar mount although I'm not too sure how I would power it?

Thats the Garmin ive got on the VFR.

Its brill. I use it for both car and bike. Ive mounted it onto the top yoke of the vfr and straight onto the battery. Its never gone wrong.. Even in the absolutely bouncing thunder rain in France. It got pee wet through but non ever got into it.

Ive got a pick of it mounted to the viffer if you want to see it? Let me know, ill have to put it on photobucket first you see (:

Straight to battery terminals with inline fuse is easiest.

For a few quid more you can have the later 660 model.

Waterproof, comes with Garmin car and RAM bike mounts,

Separate car charger, and fused hard wire harness and mount for bike.

mp3 player, bluetooth connectivity including to most headsets, phone book synch,

free maps, etc etc It also has a jack for wired headset if you prefer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Zumo-660-LM-FREE-Lifetime-Maps-With-EU-Maps-/252097183943?hash=item3ab229c0c7

I dont think theres anything there that the 390 hasnt got apart from the MP3 player? Which you could use your phone to a headset if you wanted.

The 390 is a little smaller, so i think the screens abit smaller too, but ive never struggled to see it in any way.

Yeah both look good I think I am just going to spend a little more and get a dedicated bike sat nav rather than trying to mess around with my iPhone and trying to find a case and charger for the bike.

I did, and would again.

They arent cheap.. But theyre very good. Transforms the reason you use your bike. Before, i could only go somewhere i didnt know in the car, cos it was a pain to get directions.

Now, i can go wherever i want (:

• Like 1

Yeah both look good I think I am just going to spend a little more and get a dedicated bike sat nav rather than trying to mess around with my iPhone and trying to find a case and charger for the bike.

If you buy Zumo 660 it comes with storage case, powered bike mount by RAM (hard wired 2 connections with plastic

cap to hide connections from damp when not in use.) , powered car mount with cigar lighter charger, and the unit is

waterproof so no case needed when it's used on the bike. I switch mine between 4 and 2 wheels all the time and the unit 

knows which of the bases it's fitted to and uses your preferred settings dependent on which base. 

IMAG0393_zpskfwcftyu.jpg

IMAG0391_zpsbazotxt6.jpg

FabiamK2se if you have a pic that would be great!

Thanks,

Chunk

Heres one ive got on my phone.

Its mounted in the stem using a mount i purchased off a guy with a company called Telferizer. It goes into the hole in the stem and expands as you tighten it. Its great. Wired into the battery so it charges too.

image.jpg1.jpg

• Like 1

I assume most of these are universal fit so if I got the garmin it would fit my yamaha ybr 125 and then once I get a better bike I would also be able to fit it to that?

Yep, it's coming off of my bike before it's sold, And going straight onto the next one.

That's why I thought it was worth the dough. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Tiger 1050 with more traditional handlebars and mount it close to the mirror so I can use a tank bag.

I've had a Garmin 660 for years and it's a great piece of kit and swop it between bike and cars.

What I especially like about it is being able to plan a trip on the computer and then download it to the sat nav as you can go exactly where you want to. All part of the fun of planning holidays and trips.

What I especially like about it is being able to plan a trip on the computer and then download it to the sat nav as you can go exactly where you want to. All part of the fun of planning holidays and trips.

I did this on the 390 not long ago when i did the Assen trip.

It puts things into reality though. When you jump on the bike at 7am and set the nav up. 'Time of arrival: 10:10pm. Distance to arrival: 650 miles'

Oh. Best get riding then.. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have a look at the new Tom Tom Rider 40 or 400 as well. Ive had both garmin and Tom Tom and while there is no denying Garmin tend to have the edge on features and such like I still maintain that for just putting an address in and getting there Tom Tom wins hands down, depends what you want, I know Im in the minority where my bike is used primarily for work though.