Code Reader

Can anyone recommend me an error code reader please?  I'd love a VCDS, but let's face it - I'm only going to use it once in a blue moon and there aren't any features I want enabling, nor do I have any immediate plans to retrofit anything.

So, can anyone recommend a cheap as possible code reader that will help me diagnose my stuttering/hesitation issues please?

Cheers!

Can anyone recommend me an error code reader please?  I'd love a VCDS, but let's face it - I'm only going to use it once in a blue moon and there aren't any features I want enabling, nor do I have any immediate plans to retrofit anything.

So, can anyone recommend a cheap as possible code reader that will help me diagnose my stuttering/hesitation issues please?

Cheers!

There are plenty of 'elm327' bluetooth OBD scanners on ebay - I think they work by pairing with your phone through Bluetooth (and on the phone an app to view the codes). I have never used these elm devices, so I can't say how well they will work in helping you find your trouble.

I think it's better that you find someone with VCDS near to your area.

EDIT: forgot to mention, there are many cheap hand-held tools available to read fault codes, but I am not sure if they will read DTCs from all modules like ABS, gearbox etc. Here is an example of one - link

Edited by GamesGoblin

There are plenty of 'elm327' bluetooth OBD scanners on ebay - I think they work by pairing with your phone through Bluetooth (and on the phone an app to view the codes). I have never used these elm devices, so I can't say how well they will work in helping you find your trouble.

I think it's better that you find someone with VCDS near to your area.

EDIT: forgot to mention, there are many cheap hand-held tools available to read fault codes, but I am not sure if they will read DTCs from all modules like ABS, gearbox etc. Here is an example of one - link

Thanks. I'm mainly after it to see if the car has generated any codes that wouldn't trigger an EML.  

Edited by planehazza

You should give the elm327 a try then - a listing I found on ebay

Cheers will do. This one is a little pricier at £13 but has good reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUJII%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Scanner--Android-Diagnostic/dp/B00UR5BRZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444048001&sr=8-1&keywords=ELM327 

I havea  VGate scanner - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Bargain-Store-VS450-Scanner/dp/B0063FPV96

Think I paid about £22 for it. No idea what it does better than the £10 versions.

It was handy for figuring out problems on the car. I hate going to a dealer/mechanic knowing nothing.

I should really sell it now I suppose.