Property Surveyor

OctaBen

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right section for this

Looking to find out if anyone works/has worked in the property surveying business, as in residential for mortgage purposes

It's something I am interested in and just trying to find out the best route of entry etc

Thanks

I had nothing more than GCSE's and a few A-Levels when I started and haven't much more now 10 years later on.

I do now work for a contractor on the quantity surveying side of things but experience and site knowledge is what has got me this far.

By all means, there is degrees that can be undertaken and some professional qualification will be needed to become chartered.

Are you good at writing fantasy, if so you'll be great at the job. 

On a survey conducted upon a property I'm selling the 'surveyor'

put in writing this little gem.

17.       The back door is defective and needs replacing.  Has this been discussed by the management company? What are the potential costs involved?

The moron never even had a key for that door, that's why he couldn't open it.

Even if the lock was defective, you'd replace the lock not the door. Well you would 

if you weren't from outer space anyway....

Surveys are such a waste of money and ultimately not worth the paper they

are printed on if there is a problem because they are cleverly worded to avoid any

responsibility for missing something that causes problems later.

So much so that when I buy properties which can be 2 or 3 times a year I don't even

bother having one done, I look at the property and that's good enough for me. 

I don't borrow money so lending isn't reliant on surveys, and I've enough experience 

and know how to tackle more or less any problem I find. 

15.       We still await a response in relation the electrical tests carried out at the property.  We would request that a test is carried out on the flat.

16.       Further to the above point, the electric storage heaters are required to be inspected and serviced or a safety test carried out on them.

So they made a big fuss about this, then when I said fine, I'll supervise the testing though

suddenly it's not so important anymore.  Methinks the buyer had a tame sparks who would have 

found faults where there were none and then tried to re-negotiate price. 

Foiled sucka, I done this sheet before.

Sounds like you're in a very fortunate position gr666. A lot of it does come down to experience and if you're in the buying and selling market, i'm sure you've seen you fair share of properties that are sound as well as ones that are dodgy.

My problem is I'm 32, two kids, mortgage to pay etc. I'm trying to find the most cost effective way of changing careers

What do you currently do Ben? Do you have any knowledge of property and/or construction?

Sorry for delayed reply, was out all day yesterday at a works away day, quad biking etc

Currently working for a housing association dealing with government equity loans

My only knowledge of property is having owned several and now currently have a house and a buy to let flat

The thing is I'm realistic about the fact that I'm never going to fit in 20 hours a week of study, with shared custody of my daughter and my partner in the same position with her son, life is hectic enough as it is

If it's unrealistic without a massive amount of study then I'll need to explore other options

As I said mate, I didn't and still don't have any professional qualification behind me and working as a lead surveyor (and only surveyor) for a building construction and maintenance company turning over £7mil per annum.

From what I understand about what you're looking to do, limited knowledge in that field, I think you'd need to be chartered following on from a degree or equivalent qualification.

If anyone knows better than me, please feel free to correct me.