the importance of checking spark plug gaps

xantiaman

hi all

about 2 months ago, say 1500 miles i changed the coil packs and spark plugs on my 4x4 1.8t octavia arx engine, the plugs are NGKPFR6Q. i just chucked them in without checking the gaps as i was under the (false) impression that the gap is always set at the factory.

having noticed  recently that performance was dropping off, just a tad not much, i started to read of possible causes on this forum, the odd thread or 2 suggested that spark plug gap should always be checked from the box so today i removed the plugs and checked the gaps looking for 0.32...kin hell with the feeler gauge on 0.32 i could see daylight between the feelers and the electrode, i mean they were at least 0.40... no surprise that performance had dropped off abit. resetting the gap has improved the drive no end.

it just goes to show that sometimes its the little things that get overlooked that can be the cause of the problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and don't assume that new plugs are foolproof   some while back a friend with a nearly new Volvo had trouble with no starting the day after a dealership service after a lot of head scratching we remove the brand new plugs and fitted something close that I had in the garage and  hadn't thrown away and it fired first time