Combi L&K with Sunroof - Roof Bars Any suggestions

Hi guys

I have TWO bikes that I need to transport. I am looking for recommendations for roof bars that will have low wind resistance when the bikes are not attached

Also , If ye have recommendations for the Bike rack. One bike has carbon fork the other is aluminium.

so I have the pan roof on my combi, and run thule aero bars with the appropriate foot kit, and two pro-ride 591's

there is a v. small amount of wind noise at motorway speed with no bikes on it, but its very small, and not that noticeable. with bikes, there is some whistle/noise, but again, not much

if you are around dublin, more than happy to show em off.

t

Edited by tmg
  • Like 1

No matter what for you use most bike manufacturers will not warranty their bikes on racks that clamp the bike in place by the fork dropouts and hold the front wheel separately. Holding a bike like this loads the fork in a manner that's drastically different from the loads it's designed to carry leading to cracking/delamination at the dropouts. I'd recommend the Thule 591 as well - I know people who have used them several times a week without problems for years. They've all gone to towbar mounted bike racks now though, mainly because they fit under the low barriers on a lot of forest entrances give better fuel economy and carry 3 bikes more easily.

One thing to watch is that all of these racks clamp on the bike frame and will wear your paint off where they're clamped (Or wear through the frame in the case of carbon fibre frames). Some carbon frame manufacturers won't warranty their frames is the damage is related to it being clamped too hard in a bike rack of workstand either. The towbar racks give more options on where you can clamp the bike than he roof racks too.

I use the fact the car is huge inside to carry my bikes in the car all the time, eliminating the security and fuel economy issues with external racks. 3 people and 3 bikes will go in the car very easily.

Also watch where you put the roof bars if you plan on opening the panoramic roof while the bars are attached - straight bars between the roof rails will not leave the roof enough room to open fully.

• Like 2

actually yeah - forgot that point. the thule aero bars do allow you to open the pan roof fully.

the conformal ones (wing bars?) that are fairly level with the tops of the side rails do not. its important to check with whatever brand of rails you go with that you can continue to operate the roof. 

t.

Hi, these are pics of my 2015 Superb Combi Elegance with Sunroof.

Thule Aerobars, Thule 591 bike carrier, and Thule Rapid Railing 757.

Also a picture of the look from inside is added. :)  Hope these pictures will help.

Cheers

post-131715-0-40657700-1444672540_thumb.jpg

post-131715-0-38532900-1444672543_thumb.jpg

post-131715-0-77319500-1444672546_thumb.jpg

post-131715-0-12637700-1444672550_thumb.jpg

post-131715-0-39771900-1444672560_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the picture from inside...

Sorry for not uploading more pics because here it says 

"You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments"

Im new to this.. Any suggestions to add more pictures?

post-131715-0-11618300-1444672784_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuperbCombi
  • Like 2