Scraping - suspect disc brake back-plate.

Started out as an occasional metallic rattle - too infrequent to pinpoint it's location; suddenly worsened to a near-constant high-pitched scrape/grinding noise on my commute home late last night, though it varied as I turned the steering wheel on the run in to our estate.

Very different to the sound of bearings, and am as sure as I can be that this is the shielding plate behind the disc on the nearside front wheel - not very impressive for a car that's nearing 2500miles after 2 months on the fairly smooth roads around us.

Phoned the dealer this morning to be told they're fully booked this week, and could I 'phone the Roadside Recovery?! Convinced them it would be a quick fix (I sincerely hope I'm right!!), and they squeezed me in for tomorrow morning. Got a lift to work today.

Does anybody know... (assuming my diagnosis) is correct) are the backplates painted? If so, I'll be asking for a replacement plate, as the paint removal will lead to premature corrosion.

I've not noticed them so I'm guessing that they are steel - painted black.

You could have "acquired" something that is now trapped in there, though small stones really make a serious noise!

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 2

Neither do most people that "aquire" small stones in their disc brakes, small stones do end up on the road and vehicle wheels as well as your own car's wheels can flick them up into these places.