Key Reader, Ignition Barrel.

Hi Everyone

I am having an intermittent issue with the Immobiliser, when I insert the key and switch on the ignition it is displaying "Immobiliser Active" on the maxidot display, the car runs for a few seconds and shuts down. if I lock the car up and leave it for a few minutes it usually starts fine, some times it may not do it again for weeks then it will just pop up again at random, I always get it going again but this last week or two it has been doing it nearly every day but again I always get it started sometimes it may take up to 30 minutes. I have decided to try fitting a new key reader as my first option and the associated wiring on the ignition barrel, There is nothing wrong with my ignition barrel, steering lock and ignition switch, so what I was wondering was Does the key reader part off the newer version supplied nowadays  1K0 905 851 C  fit the older version  1K0 905 851 B  as i was thinking of just changing the key reader and the wiring, I have spoken to skoda today and they say if you fit the complete newer version you also have to replace the cowling with a modified version as the old one won't fit any more at a cost of around £95.

Does anyone know the differences between the two and why it needs a new cowling, and if I can fit the new key reader to the existing barrel will I still have to change the cowling, also does anyone know the part number for the little wiring loom as I believe this is available separately and I could try this as a option while I wait for an complete unit. I wanted to go this way first as I will be able to keep the same key which I would not be able to do if I went down the second hand route.

Regards

Craig...

Hyundai had similar problem. On my wife's Getz the symptoms were the same as yours. Turned out to be connector that connects to the key reader was not suitable for reliably carrying low currents. Connector cut out and wires soldered to fix the problem five years ago.

One simple thing you could try is to unplug and replug the key reader's wiring connector a few times to see if temporarily fixes it.

• Like 1

Hi Pikpilot

Thanks for your reply, Yes I was thinking it could be just the wiring because if it was the key reader wouldn't it just be working or not and not this intermittent problem?, If I new the part Number for the wire I would buy it and try that first, someone did tell me the one off the Fabia will do it as that is sold separate and has a part number but I don't know for sure, I could take this one off and get it checked and refit it with and see how that goes. I will PM Eddie NL and see what he recommends he may have some parts I can buy.

Regards

Craig...

if you search I think there is a part no' for the wires from Tech 1  in a post approx 18 months ago  from memory they're sold in 5's  (don't ask :p )   but even so I had to make some mod to fit--the coil comes in at least two types which I think vary on the plug shape(socket)   the square one is available/viewable  on fleabay    the coil has to be cut off (unless someone knows different) and the new one snaps on  the wires from the plug(coil) go into the multiplug on the dash pod   so that needs operating on too   my fix lasted from 18months @99%  to now @ 5%    once the dash is out it may be worth checking the resistance of the leads and coil together to see if it can be disturbed by wiggling it all about  should be appox 22.5 ohms   think it's pin 1& 17 but check  keep us posted :sun:

• Like 1

Hi Cheshire Cat

I have Sourced a complete second hand unit exactly the same as mine for £25 quid that should arrive by Tuesday 20th so I can try the the parts individually. I will try the wiring first on my unit then try the key reader part, its worth £25 quid just to have some parts to try and try and narrow the problem down. Its a 10 year old car so I'm not too bothered about having a different key blade. I am due to get rid of the car next spring I have already kept it 3 years longer than i would of done normally as i purchased a motorbike instead of buying a new car. Its still only done 49000 now so it is still a relatively low mileage car, the MOT is due in a couple of weeks and the service indicator popped up a couple of weeks ago, so I have just done the oil and filter, air filter, pollen filter, and fuel filter yesterday and reset the service indicator. I have got new brake disks and pads all round to fit and a fluid change to do next weekend and the car will be really good again if I can just get this annoying problem solved.

Regards

Craig...