Basic info on Mk1 Octavia Estate

Hi there,

I'm looking at a TDI estate as a works car (I'm self employed), am I right in thinking that the mk1 Octavia is the same basic car as the Mk4 Golf?  If so is there anything extra than the usual VW foibles to look out for when buying?  And did was it only the Laurin & Klement which came with xenon headlights as standard?

Cheers,

Ryan

Yes the Mk1 Octavia is the same floor plan as Mk4 Golf. Had my elegance Tdi for over 3 years now, and nothing too out of the ordinary reliability wise. I've had to replace air con pump and alternator, there the two things that can cost a bit, the one way clutch goes on the alternator (very squeaky belt noise on start up). A good service history is always a bonus. Regular timing belt replacements etc. Xenons were standard on the L&K and vRS WRC special edition. They were an option on other models iirc, but not many about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant car, got 170k on my 110 tdi (140k mine) and apart from the front wishbones and an auxiliary belt tensioner I've spent nothing on non routine maintenance.

The 90hp MKIV Golf which preceeded it had 241k miles on it when I sold it and I know that it went to 300k, that car cost me nothing too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, not as good as I thought - unsure with them now, the seating position seems to be up in the clouds - is that just with those which have heated seats..?

What other seats can be bolted straight in?  Mk4 golf and Audi A3?  or B5 Passat and A4's????

There is a hight adjuster on the side of the seat. I had standard seats in mine and they were fine, I changed them for seats from a MK4 golf (heated leather) and they are a bit higher but are fine with them on the lowest hight setting. What car were you looking at if you dont mind me asking?

I think it is the heated seats, although on my Passat they adjust really low (could this have anything to do with the burning problems that the mk4 golf heated seats had I wonder???).

Even on the lowest setting it seemed like I was sat on top of the car rather than in it.  Had this with a Bora too - I wonder if they can be tinkered with if removed..?

Well the original car is gone, but the hunt goes on - looking at a mk2 as an option as well now...

The Mrs has chipped in with "It has to have sat nav too..."  So a manual VAG TDI estate with reversing sensors as a must, Sat nav, heated seats and xenons are all high on the priority list, all this for £5K?  let me know if you spot anything!!!!