Air vents poorly fitted

Hello,

I have had my Octavia MKIII 2.0TDi SE Business Estate for 6 months now from new.

It is a great car.

However I have located two dash rattles coming from the center vent area.

I have narrowed one down to poorly fitted vents.

In the pictures below you can see how the chrome trim sits proud of the dash when viewed from the passenger side. I can push it in with my finger however it does not click into place and simply springs back out again.

I am curious if anyone else has had this issue?

IMG_6637_zpseqgxr8oz.jpg

IMG_6638_zpsxm7nc2nq.jpg

Vents on mine arent fitted fantastically well...its the vent itself and not the chrome trim that attaches to the dash so minor variances there are to be expected.

Mine has a few annoying rattles, the worst from behind the infotainment screen but I just live with them...

Mine did exactly the same.

Finally I removed the vent and fixed it.

One of the plastic pins needed some bending as it failed to hold the vent in it's place.

I used a cigarette lighter to heat up the plastic before bending.

Thanks for the tip  :clap:  I have been annoyed by a faint, somewhat temperature dependent rattle from passenger side. I have not been able to spot the source until now. When I pushed the vent grille a bit, it was clearly loose.

• 1 year later...
On 20.10.2015 at 12:29, aki78 said:

Mine did exactly the same.

Finally I removed the vent and fixed it.

One of the plastic pins needed some bending as it failed to hold the vent in it's place.

I used a cigarette lighter to heat up the plastic before bending.

How you removed the vent?

There are 4 locking tabs at the bottom. I used a small screwdriver to unlock them one by one (from left to right). You have to lift those tabs up. At the same you have to insert something between the vent unit's chrome frame and the dash to prevent the tabs locking again. I used an old credit card but you can use anything made of plastic. Once all tabs are unlucked just pull the lower side towards you. Not difficult to remove. Then undo the electric connector and you can work on it.

On 19/10/2015 at 21:45, mmccann483 said:

Hello,

I have had my Octavia MKIII 2.0TDi SE Business Estate for 6 months now from new.

It is a great car.

However I have located two dash rattles coming from the center vent area.

I have narrowed one down to poorly fitted vents.

In the pictures below you can see how the chrome trim sits proud of the dash when viewed from the passenger side. I can push it in with my finger however it does not click into place and simply springs back out again.

I am curious if anyone else has had this issue?

IMG_6637_zpseqgxr8oz.jpg

IMG_6638_zpsxm7nc2nq.jpg

Mine is an se business 2015 and it to has exactaly the same thing, the vents tick and creak with changes in temp, however im use to this as my last car was much worce.

22 hours ago, aki78 said:

There are 4 locking tabs at the bottom. I used a small screwdriver to unlock them one by one (from left to right). You have to lift those tabs up. At the same you have to insert something between the vent unit's chrome frame and the dash to prevent the tabs locking again. I used an old credit card but you can use anything made of plastic. Once all tabs are unlucked just pull the lower side towards you. Not difficult to remove. Then undo the electric connector and you can work on it.

Thanks for your help. I fixed my vent today.

Hi, Can you please share some pics of the tabs and how to remove them. I have broken vents on my Octavia and am trying to replace them. Till now I haven't found out how to pull them out and this would be really helpful.

Thanks.

On 7/7/2017 at 02:36, aki78 said:

Hi, Can you please share some pics of the tabs and how to remove them. I have broken vents on my Octavia and am trying to replace them. Till now I haven't found out how to pull them out and this would be really helpful.

Thanks.