Funny noise on startup, any ideas?

Hello! Anyone know what this noise is? 

It only happens on a cold start (properly, left overnight, kind of cold), never at any other time. Even if you start it, for example, first thing in the morning, immediately switch off the engine for a couple of minutes, then re-start; it isn't there the second time. The length of time the noise is there will also vary without pattern, but it's never more than a couple of seconds long. Today is the first time I've noticed the two little 'blips' of noise afterwards.

The main noise starts at 0.04, and the two little blips are from 0.06 - 0.08.

I've always assumed it to be normal, but no idea what it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHlQ0dNp8dI&feature=youtu.be

If you mean the whining noise, it may be the pinion gear in the starter motor. After the engine starts, the pinion gear spins fast when it retracts. I think the noise comes when the pinion deaccelerates before it stops. Mine has done this from new, 1.8 TSI.

If you mean the whining noise, it may be the pinion gear in the starter motor. After the engine starts, the pinion gear spins fast when it retracts. I think the noise comes when the pinion deaccelerates before it stops. Mine has done this from new, 1.8 TSI.

I checked this again today, and I must say I am not sure about the source anymore. There are also a different thread about this about a similar noise on the 1.4 TSI. I'm not sure about the starter anymore, it may be a pump building up pressure or something.....

I've just read that thread, how interesting...

Doesn't sound like starter to be honest, isn't "whiney" enough, and the pitch should change as the speed increases/decreases. This noise is always identical, except for length.

I thought about the fuel pump(s), but doesn't it already prime the fuel system as soon as you even open the door? That is only a very quiet noise too, unlike the startup one...

• 1 month later...

I have the same noise on my Skoda Superb III. Just bought 1 month ago (I am from Latvia). I have been already several times to my dealer and they said that it is normal sound when first starting cold engine. Honestly speaking I doubt. There shouldn't be any strange sounds in the new car. Maybe somebody resolved this problem?!