Routing mic wire to stereo

Thisday

Hey lads, bought a double din with a wired headphone (when it arrives), I know obvs the A piller has to come off, (how easy is this/any tips?)

But then how to I get the wire from the right side to the stereo, ideally without removing the dash?

Through about using and electricians nylon wire puller thing but wary about knocking something loose behind there.

So any ideas/tips?

Put my mic at the top right of the windscreen, clipped it to the roof lining then ran it along the top of the windscreen down the left pillar (came off really easily), behind the glove box (that came out really easily too) then to the headunit. 

My Kenwood unit came with enough cable to do that run with some to spare, and I found it much easier than trying to navigate the area behind the wheel/instrument cluster etc.

• Like 1

Put my mic at the top right of the windscreen, clipped it to the roof lining then ran it along the top of the windscreen down the left pillar (came off really easily), behind the glove box (that came out really easily too) then to the headunit. 

My Kenwood unit came with enough cable to do that run with some to spare, and I found it much easier than trying to navigate the area behind the wheel/instrument cluster etc.

Ahh good idea thanks, I have to wire a dash cam in so I was thinking the Right A pillar had to come off anyway. Whether I have the cable to do that route will be the question though...I suspect not

I have thought about getting an extension cable but heard the JVC mic can be mardy re fittings (although it seemingly fit in my phone fine)

Mines between the sun visors, didn't even need to remove any trip from pillars, just pull it out abit n push the cable in

Edited by SkUG

I've got mine under the instrument cluster on the left hand side. Ground a bit of that panel off so it doesn't snag the wire (literally rubbed it on my drive until it I had removed enough for it to work). And ran the wire in the gap between the top and bottom of the dash.

The mic had enough wire to run from the Drivers 'A' pillar all the way round the windscreen, down the 'A' Pillar, over the glovebox and to the unit.

'A' pillars do come off with a good pull for anyone thinking of this.

Thanks to all for your input!

Not sure why you'd want to go up the nearside to get to the offside.

Here's what I did on the ibiza, can't see it being much different.

Drivers door open, pull the front of the door seal off the frame. A pillar trim pops off. Remove fusebox cover. Remove interior light.

Use a bit of stiff thin wire to draw a bit of string under the steering column to the fusebox, then another to go over the headliner to to interior light. Tie that to the plug on the mic and draw it back to the headunit.

There's a grill on the interior light housing that's perfect to hide the mic behind . This keeps it away from any wind noise from the door (I'm working with Spanish build quality).

Make sure the wire isn't tight anywhere when you draw it back.

Not sure why you'd want to go up the nearside to get to the offside.

Here's what I did on the ibiza, can't see it being much different.

Drivers door open, pull the front of the door seal off the frame. A pillar trim pops off. Remove fusebox cover. Remove interior light.

Use a bit of stiff thin wire to draw a bit of string under the steering column to the fusebox, then another to go over the headliner to to interior light. Tie that to the plug on the mic and draw it back to the headunit.

There's a grill on the interior light housing that's perfect to hide the mic behind . This keeps it away from any wind noise from the door (I'm working with Spanish build quality).

Make sure the wire isn't tight anywhere when you draw it back.

I had head that vent was the oem Mic spot, but didn't know how to get from the fusebox to the stereo without removing bits to which I'd rather not mess with.

Therefore the glove box route was the most simple for me and my lack of knowledge/confidence. Plenty of wire to take this route and simple to install (plus I had to take glove box out to 1. Get the old stereo out, 2. Get the usb wire into the glove box)

I had head that vent was the oem Mic spot, but didn't know how to get from the fusebox to the stereo without removing bits to which I'd rather not mess with.

Therefore the glove box route was the most simple for me and my lack of knowledge/confidence. Plenty of wire to take this route and simple to install (plus I had to take glove box out to 1. Get the old stereo out, 2. Get the usb wire into the glove box)

That was pretty much my thinking when making the decision too. 

1) Get nasty with the fusebox area with loads of obstacles.

2) Just go a couple of feet further and have unhindered access the whole way.

Plus, as you say, the glovebox had to come out anyway for the stereo so might as well.

Glad it went in well for you buddy.