Bilstein B4 shocks and ................

M80JJB

Aside from the obvious shocks and springs kits like AP, Weitec etc, I've seen after reading countless posts using the search option that some people run Bilstein shocks with eibach springs. Are there any vRS owners who run Bilsteins with H&R springs or Weitec springs combo. I've read so many different posts and there's so many different opinions that I'm slowly starting to go mad I think. Whichever setup I choose will be wrong in someone's eyes but I'd rather go with the majority I think. I like the sound of Bilstein B4s with H&R springs but an AP kit is probably similar in price. Any help much appreciated here people.

"Whichever setup I choose will be wrong in someone's eyes" - NO!

There is no right and wrong in regards to suspension components, only what other people have tried and tested in the past then give an opinion on how they got on with a certain setup. 

I've not heard much about Weitec springs myself but read plenty of good reviews about Eibachs and H&Rs, with the Eibachs tending to score better for ride comfort than most others. Also heard good things about the AP spring/shock kit too. 

If your using it as a road car I'd say go with B4s and Eibachs/H&Rs as that will probably be the best in terms of maintaining ride comfort while giving you the sportier handling. If you want something a bit more track focused then go for the APs or consider a full coil-over kit, but you'll sacrifice some comfort then. 

Quick question, have you replaced any of your bushes? I'd be doing the console bushes as a bare minimum before spending money on springs/shocks. Also check for play in the ball joints while your at it and replace if necessary. 

Edited by mattbvRS

It's for road use so looking for comfort. Would love the AP coilovers kit but if a decent shocks/springs setup is as beneficial then the financially it makes more sense to go for it.

I've had the car around 5 weeks now and was told by the seller that the car was "poly bushed all round." I'm going to take that with a pinch of salt. Out of curiosity what colour would the standard console bushes be, as I'm sure when I had the wheels off last weekend that the rears were red or dark orange.

Thing is you can get aftermarket bushes that are black too, but you should be able to spot them as they'll be solid rather than voided. Google a few pictures of Fabia vRS console bushes to get examples of the different ones. If it has been done then it's one less thing you've to worry about!

But yeah B4s and a good set of springs sound ideal for your situation. 

Ok mate cheers. I'm definitely going to check all bushes before I change the suspension. I'll order some new top mounts as well whilst I'm at it then rarb will be next on the list

The B4 dampers are pretty much the same spec as the original vRS damper units, not intended to run with lowered springs.

The other dampers in the Bilstein range, the B6 are uprated over the B4's and painted yellow as apposed the B4's Black finish. Again the B6's are ideally supposed to run with standard height springs.

The only uprated Bilstein damper that's suitable for lowered springs is the B8, they have a shorter piston stroke and inbuilt bump stops to cater for the reduced travel.

So technically the best damper would be the B8, but again most folks wouldn't give a monkeys about running B4's with lowering springs so you pays your money and takes your choice in these things.

Just so you know, the B8's with Eibachs give a subtle reduction in ride height, they retain excellent comfort, but are pliant enough for fast road and track use without going to the coil over units.

The best option often conflicts with budget.

The B4s are perfectly fne to run with a set of mild lowering springs up to 40mm (it states as much on their website) and they will be a big improvement over just banging some springs on 8-10 year old worn dampers like most people do that's for sure lol. 

OK the B6/B8s would be better but how much extra would they cost? The B8s are £500 from a quick search! - That's over 3x more just on the shocks. When your spending that sort of money it opens up other options and I'd probably go with a full coil-over kit with that sort of budget. 

The AP shock/spring kit or the B4s and Eibachs, you can't really go wrong with either. Both are good options for a reasonable cost and will give a noticeable improvement over stock. Just pick an option and go with it!

Edited by mattbvRS

Here's another thought, just to add to the conversation. My vRS is currently sitting on standard shocks with Koni lowered springs. Will a set of Bilstein shocks cure the problem using above springs. Basically swapping out the shocks. I'd assume the shocks are originals putting them at 9 years old, which would mean they are probably due the bin anyway.