Bulb failure

Hey,

This weekend I changed my rear side lights, fog and reversing lights, interior lights (all) for canbus LED lights. I installed all bulbs and there were no errors. Yesterday I turned the ignition and the bulb warning light came up. I checked all lights and again all were working.

I bought a canbus 501 LED bulb yesterday for the glovebox and I was trying to get the old bulb out of the holder when I slipped and the screwdriver touched a contact of the bulb holder. A small spark and the interior lights, LED running lights, rear side lights all went out. The mini blade fuse had blown. I changed it and all bulbs are working again.

However the bulb warning light is still showing, and now when I turn the ignition the needle sweep no longer functions. I am not sure if needle sweep is on by default on a VRS, but it's worked since I owned the car.

Any ideas or suggestions?

One or more of the bulbs could be causing it. Some say theyre 'canbus error free' but not all bulbs actually are in. Some cars seem more sensitive than others.

How did the tail lights look with leds? Usually LED taillights dont work very well with an incadescent housing, and look poor and not very visible.

Its a common thing to blow the fuse when changing glovebox and boot light, easy done.

Note: only exterior bulbs are monitored by canbus.

Not sure on needlesweep, must have reset itself somehow. Might need activating again with VCDS.

To be honest the rear lights don't look much different. The brake lights are definitely brighter and have a much better response time which was my main reason for getting them. The fog and reverse lights are insanely bright now. Interior lights are better and almost too bright, one of my bug bears being that there isn't a light in the rear, trying to my little man in his car seat in the dark isn't fun.

I bought all the lights from Halfrauds, they do a new range of Canbus LED lights, actually decent but quite pricey! Git to the till and it said £80! Luckily the lad working there kindly used his trade card which dropped it to £45.

As for the needle sweep, just odd that it stopped after the short. I've got a Vag Com lead (not a cheap one) but for some reason it's not working and won't install the USB drivers.

Sounds good!

Got to be one or more of the bulbs pulling up the error though. The problem with doing them all at once is its impossible to say.

Dont suppose vagcom (when it is working) says which bulb it is?

Would be interesting to see the tail lights tbh! (: ive got an LED reverse light in which does make it a tad easier reversing at night.

And good on your little man for getting a job at Halfords even though hes still in his childseat. We need more like that.. :D

I've changed numerous bulbs to LED on my monte and although they're all canbus bulbs it occasionally throws up the bulb light.

If I immediately switch the lights on when starting the car the warning will come on but if I leave it for a few seconds it doesn't do it!

I'm guessing on first starting there is a surge of power which the LEDs don't like?