Bluefin Remap/chip review

Ok well Friday i took delivery of my blue fin handset

Was nicely boxed and welll presented

I was a bit nerous at first as £350 from Demon tweeks (other shops are avaible) is a lot to fork out in one go...

So un packed the handset followed the booklet which comes with the thing

Simple clear guilds followed the on screen instrustions

ign off ign on ign off ign on go for a brew in total took about 20mins to read and copy the old/standard map to the hand set

was disipointed at first as the device then stated it needed to download the map from superchips website

GUTTED as it was the weekend and the book said it could take up to 8 days to come back

then had to download some desktop soft ware and plugged in the device

waited abot another 20 mins while it copied the old/standard map and sent it to super chips

Had a email seconds later saying the map was ready!! WINNER!!!!

clicked connect on the blue fin sofeware and it started to copy the new map!

that seemed to take ages but again had to follow the ign on ign off ign on have a brew set up

Then it was done......

Thought i would take it for a drive and see if the £350 was well spent

I can confirm that this has totally transformed the car...

Touch the petal and revs a lot more freely

Car is now making full use of the full miltec and panel filter and carbon intake

I pulled on to main road and was instantly shocked by the sheer about of pulling power it now has

Every gear is so much better

Took him for a long drive last night and the MPG has gone up too!! was doing about 33.2 on way back was up to 36mpg and i wasnt hanging about either

All in anyone not running stage one on thier TFSI is losing out big time!!!!!!!

PB

• Like 3

Thanks for this. When I do eventually get my vrs in a couple of months I am looking to go down this route. Is it just as easy to switch back to standard do you know?

Ok well Friday i took delivery of my blue fin handset

Was nicely boxed and welll presented

I was a bit nerous at first as £350 from Demon tweeks (other shops are avaible) is a lot to fork out in one go...

So un packed the handset followed the booklet which comes with the thing

Simple clear guilds followed the on screen instrustions

ign off ign on ign off ign on go for a brew in total took about 20mins to read and copy the old/standard map to the hand set

was disipointed at first as the device then stated it needed to download the map from superchips website

GUTTED as it was the weekend and the book said it could take up to 8 days to come back

then had to download some desktop soft ware and plugged in the device

waited abot another 20 mins while it copied the old/standard map and sent it to super chips

Had a email seconds later saying the map was ready!! WINNER!!!!

clicked connect on the blue fin sofeware and it started to copy the new map!

that seemed to take ages but again had to follow the ign on ign off ign on have a brew set up

Then it was done......

Thought i would take it for a drive and see if the £350 was well spent

i had a stage 1 performance torque map on mine and it managed 252bhp it was awesome

I can confirm that this has totally transformed the car...

Touch the petal and revs a lot more freely

Car is now making full use of the full miltec and panel filter and carbon intake

I pulled on to main road and was instantly shocked by the sheer about of pulling power it now has

Every gear is so much better

Took him for a long drive last night and the MPG has gone up too!! was doing about 33.2 on way back was up to 36mpg and i wasnt hanging about either

All in anyone not running stage one on thier TFSI is losing out big time!!!!!!!

PB

Seems to be yea

The booklet tells you you can pop the old map on again not sure why you would want that but you can :)

If it's anything like the Shark STS, then the unit is locked until you return to the original map. Once unlocked, you can use it again on your next one, hopefully at less cost. (Shark prices the STS separately from the map, so you can re-use the box and just pay for the map :) :) )

Having had a Shark map on two of my cars ( mk1 Octy vrs & mk2 pd 170 ) it would be interesting to hear from people who's had both Shark and superchips and see how they compare. The diesel vrs after the Shark map really is transformed. I'll soon be looking at swapping to a tfsi due to dpf issues so I'm interested in this. If the bluefin is anywhere near the Shark map it'll be a good one!!

Never compared Shark and Bluefin (Superchips) stage 1 directly, but I did compare stage 2 and 2+ Superchips against the equivalent Shark, which they call stage 2 and 3. Night and day really, the stage 2+ SC was noticeably worse than even the Shark stage 2, let alone stage 3.

I was very pleased with the stage 1 SC on 2 different car though, and the price is good.

Having spent a chunk of money on my TFSI back in the day, I would just do downpipe, CAI and Shark stage 2 if doing it again.

Note - re-using a Bluefin is very expensive, plenty of posts on here with the details.

I've had a Bluefin stage 1 on my 1.8tsi for the last 130,000km.  

It's a really good "generic" map that produced a nice increase in torque. It made amazing differences to my in-gear times in 2nd & 3rd gear.  The price was very competitive at the time I bought it.  

When I bought it the car was still under warranty and I wanted the switchable maps for return visits to the dealership.  In reality, I've probably switched maps 3 times in 6 years.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably go with a more "focused" product for similar money (Bluefin have got very expensive down here).

From what I've observed, Bluefin's offerings beyond a Stage 1 tune are a bit hit & miss.  Probably because they are trying to write generic stage 2 / 2+ tunes to suit a generic suite of bolt-on parts.  I think to do Stg2/2+ you really need to specify unique parts to suit the tune (eg: APR's business model) or you have to get a custom tune to suit the variances in the bolt-ons you have chosen.

Has anyone used a Bluefin stage 1 map on a:

2010 OCTAVIA HATCHBACK - 2.0T FSI vRS 5dr DSG

Was it any good?  any bad points to consider?

See all the words above - pretty much same results but more.

Bad points - traction / axle tramp for those that can't modulate throttle inputs in lower gears

Cheers guys

So no real problems remapping a automatic then?

If I remap my VRS are there any recomendations to add any extra parts that might help a stage 1 map even more???

• Like 1

i recently got a p-torque remap on my 07 tfsi vrs. i agree with everything you have said. even better to drive than before now. i got a rolling road before and after went from 197bhp 197 torques to 252 and 282 respectively. im seeing around 3-4 mpg extra now too! if i try really hard i can get in to the low 40's which is incredible for a 1500kg 250bhp car!

Cheers guys

So no real problems remapping a automatic then?

If I remap my VRS are there any recomendations to add any extra parts that might help a stage 1 map even more???

I've added a truckload of additional ego-boosting appendages but none made anywhere near the difference of the tune itself.

In order of usefulness:

removed first stage catcon next to turbo

Golf R intercooler (because 30c+ summers)

Catchcan (to keep the inlet clean)

GFB DV+

Redtop coils

round section inlet/outlet for IC

Denso platinum plugs

Other useless stuff I can't remember :p

Just get the tune to start with - happy days