Amazon Fire Tv Stick

Phil-E

Hey folks.

Just thought I would provide a heads up for this little device.

I used to use a Raspberry Pi for a media centre but that's now being used as a web server so had been searching for a replacement.

My original plan was to get a new Raspberry Pi 2.

I then started looking at Windows 8.1/10 HDMI sticks and Android HDMI sticks.

I then stumbled across the possibility of installing Kodi (http://kodi.tv/) onto an Amazon Fire Tv Stick.

So while I was in Tesco earlier getting a few bits I picked one up for £35 and no installed Kodi on it.

It's very fast and playback of movies etc from my network drive is instant.

I've also got a few games working on it using my Bluetooth gamepad (Nyko playpad which is supported by it) including my Nintendo 64 emulator running Kario Kart.

So for what a Raspberry Pi costs it offers far more functionality as far as a media centre goes.

It does also have all the Amazon stuff so if you happen to pay for Amazon prime you can of course access all that on it and rent movies etc.

Phil

• Like 2

Been running one for a while. Only think I've started to find is the more advanced you get into kodi it starts to fall down a bit. So I'm considering getting either a fire tv box. Or stumping up a good amount of cash for an Nvidea shield

I assume you mean all the add-ons and things?

Not too fussed about them to be honest. Have used XBMC, Kodi and OSMC for years and never bothered with them.

I have now also got a PS1 emulator running. Extra brownie points with the other half as they can now play their own favourite games. I got moaned at when the PS4 didn't have those old games on! lol

Yes... but I don't have a smart TV and smart TVs don't allow you to run a media centre program on or game emulators.

But yes out of the box it's essentially a device to turn your TV into a smart TV with iplayer etc.

Plus as above there are add-ons you can install for instance I installed one last night that gives me a load of German catch-up TV.

Phil

I assume you mean all the add-ons and things?

Not too fussed about them to be honest. Have used XBMC, Kodi and OSMC for years and never bothered with them.

I have now also got a PS1 emulator running. Extra brownie points with the other half as they can now play their own favourite games. I got moaned at when the PS4 didn't have those old games on! lol

Yep all the ad dons and customisation of kodi. Ps1 emulator sounds interesting

Just don't send anything back to Amazon, Phil.

They were on watchdog for closing people's accounts with no prior notice. You lose your Prime, too.

Had one since April. Tried kodi and didn't think it worked too well. Tried Plex and it works really well. It's a pity that all the catch up services don't work on it. (Only iPlayer, 5on-demand and Stvplayer(Scottish itvplayer just have to enter a Scottish postcode)).

The only problem I've Had has been it does have weak wireless and it needs a strong signal from your AP.

Had one since April. Tried kodi and didn't think it worked too well. Tried Plex and it works really well. It's a pity that all the catch up services don't work on it. (Only iPlayer, 5on-demand and Stvplayer(Scottish itvplayer just have to enter a Scottish postcode)).

The only problem I've Had has been it does have weak wireless and it needs a strong signal from your AP.

Have another go of kodi. Yu just need an add-on called Genesis. Which should cover all your TV needs

I'm not too fussed about the catchup services on it. We have Tivo which also has all the catchup integrated into it.

I literally bought it to use Kodi on which I must say works flawlessly. I have all my content on a network drive with the router about 2 metres away. It's very snappy and quick is the interface and when I click on something to play it starts playing instantly.

Another nice feature I tried last night was screen mirroring from my Samsung Note 3.

Just don't send anything back to Amazon, Phil.

They were on watchdog for closing people's accounts with no prior notice. You lose your Prime, too.

Just googled that. It seems that can be an issue when returning a high number of items. Plus I don't have prime membership. I bought it from Tesco too so if I needed to return it I would return it to Tesco.

cheers for that, we will be getting one for the up coming Top gear ;)

Ah yes of course... maybe I will subscribe just for top-gear then!

Have another go of kodi. Yu just need an add-on called Genesis. Which should cover all your TV needs

I didn't like the klunky way of starting it either on the Fire stick. Plex just works better (although it does cost a little bit and you have to have a PLEX server somewhere - I've a VM plex server running on my HyperV server)