Proactive maintenance at higher mileage

Is there anything you would recommend be proactively checked or replaced when an Octavia (CR VRS FL DSG) gets into the higher miles? Despite being 'just' an 11 plate I'm at 94k, which is mostly motorway miles and still feels like new, but makes me wonder if I should be doing anything else to keep it fighting fit?

It's been on variable servicing so far, but I'm switching to fixed intervals as with my mileage, it'll get a filter and fluid change and a 'full' service every year.

I've had the cam belt changed already.

DSG oil is change every 40k miles (just under every two years for me)

Are there any mounts, bushes, or other parts I should be thinking of checking or changing? If so, is like-for-like the best way, or are upgrades available?

All hints and advice welcome :)

Be interested in any response on this - my 2010 vRS CR DSG is on 97k miles so similar age and mileage. Like you majority is motorway mileage so I'm not too concerned about DPF issues etc.

I've been sticking to a 10k fixed interval service routine and spare no expense on the car. Only thing to go outside the normal service routine was a turbo actuator. Just replaced discs and pads all-round so that was kind of preemptive - I would probably be looking at the DMF at some point in the future although no tell-tale signs at the moment.

I suppose if you look after it well you are being as proactive as possible.

Hopefully someone else wil chime in with greater knowledge.

• Like 1

Change the engine oil at least every 10000 miles, and always use premium fuel (such as V power nitro +) is my advice. My 59 plate vRS has clocked up 136k from new in my hands and still runs like a dream.

Bob

--

• Like 1

Regular, fresh, good quality oil has the biggest affect. It is the life blood of any engine.

Mechanical sympathy goes a long way too...

A 30 second idle after a cold start ensures proper lubrication (again when fresher more viscous oil helps) before being put under hard loads.

A 30 second idle after a hard and hot run allows the oil to keep circulating and cools down the turbo. Turning off the engine too early can cook the turbo.

Understanding how thrust bearings work (sitting on the clutch at traffic lights) and DMF's (don't load the engine at low RPM i.e. use 3rd in 30mph zones instead of 4th etc.).

A regular hard acceleration through the gears when the engine is up to temperature keeps the EGR clear and the engine free from deposits.

And just regular smooth driving, slow and steady over speed humps, avoid those potholes, treat the car as though you want it to live long!

• Like 2

My work car is coming up to the 200,000 mile mark. Mine get a proper check by my self every week. My run just over the 142,000 mile mark and that gets a proper check as well! Both cars are octivia's.

• Like 1

Some great advice here, thank you all.

One of the things I hoped to learn more about is specific parts the Octavia benefits from replacing proactively, or weak spots that show up at higher mileage. Is there anything? Or do I have nothing to worry about [emoji2]

It's always a bit of an eye-opener to see what a car with a full Skoda main dealer service history will have changed over it's entire life, suprisingly little when you think how complex they can be...

Oil

Oil Filter

Air Filter

Fuel Filter

Pollen Filter

Spark Plugs (Petrol Only)

Brake Fluid

Cambelt & Waterpump

DSG Oil (Auto Only)

Haldex Oil (4x4 Only)

• Like 1