It's the details which matter

First decent drive yesterday (New Forest to Gatwick). Love the adaptive cruise control. But started to notice other details.

Like when the mile numbers on the odometer change, they don't just swap one for another, the old one rolls out the top and the new one rolls in from the bottom. It's very subtle, a throwback to old analogue speedos, but a lovely tough. Well done to whoever thought of that. 

And the fuel flap staying unlocked on a refuel. (So I used to get out, open the flap, and lock the car in case I forgot when I went to pay, a habit picked up in places like Poland and Germany where strange folk hang around motorway services ready to pounce, but then at the end had to unlock the car again to close the flap, relock the car and go and pay. Those who think I'm a pedant will get confirmation from SWMBO).  Yesterday Cobham Services, I got out, opened the fuel flap, locked the car. At the end the flap had remained unlocked so it closed properly without having to unlock/lock. Checked later when I next locked and it had locked normally. Again, nice detail.

Any more? 

• Like 2

Small things that made me think "I didn't know it could do that"...

Ambient lighting: I've got the dash set to 50%, the doors to 75%. Open a door and it all goes up to 100%, close the door and it dims back down to the set level.

Audio Volume: Changing the volume with the thumb wheel now shows the volume bar in the maxidot, not just the infotainment screen.

Navigation: It now lists destinations stored on a BlueTooth-connected phone's contact list in addition to any presets.

Rear door window de-misting: Despite no obvious vents that I can see, they still de-mist as fast as - if not quicker than - the front windows.

Ice scraper: It's also a magnifying glass (Not sure if that's a derogation of Superb owners!).

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

Being able to sit in the car and watch BBC News after arriving 30 minutes too early for my appointment at the GP.

I never thought I would use it but am impressed with the quality of feed/picture. I guess that now makes me a nurd :nerd:

• Like 1

Being reminded that the virtual pedal for the boot will respond to anything not just a human foot. Frightened me out of my wits when it suddendly opened because the hose had gone under the car as I washed the car !!

I was bending down to clean the rear bumper and nearly fell/jumped backwards into the puddle behind me.

Life with the Skoda Superb is such an adventure :giggle:

• Like 2

I'm going to stick some movies on an SD card just for that eventuality :-D

Watch for the screen resolution you choose for the movie you put on the SD card. The Columbus is very picky about what it will fully display. If it's not 720x576 then the video may disappear even if the audio is fine. None of the HD formats will play, and even the widescreen SD formats can cause it to give no video. I'm getting the server to re-convert mine into the old UK PAL SD resolution as that seems fine. Skoda/VAG seem to have missed a trick in this area, especially given the amount of higher definition/resolution media now in use.

• Like 1

Yeah found that out today ! Ended up just sticking a few dvd's in a wallet. Tried a few different conversions that didn't work.

I'll xperiment when I can be bothered.... Or I may just stick with dvd.

• 2 weeks later...

I was amazed to see that traffic sign assist even works on variable speed limit signs on motorway gantries.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1