octavia mk1 with a funny issue:-S.

hello guys, having a bit of a funny problem

recently picked up a Octavia vrs 114k 51plate when I got it, it wouldn't run the previous owner had some vacuum hoses replaced and a new throttle body.

now when I got it recovered to home I changed the collant temp sensor as this was showing the collant temp was 148c, and now the car runs! 

but when the engine is cold I have a traction control light on, economic light and it runs ruff between 900-1300 revs. and with this it will only rev up to 2000-2200 max and has a fault code related to the throttle body.. the oil light flashes yellow with just the ignition on which I belive is the level sensor?

now for the weird bit.. when the temperature guage is up to running temp 90ish on the guage if I turn the car off then on again.. I have no warning lights no fault codes.. and the car runs drives spot on.. does anyone out there have any ideas what to try next?

thank you in advance!

Hmmm the tcl can often come on relating to the MAF and some of those running issues do sound indicative of MAF related issues (rather common problem too). But you say there is a code relating to throttle body? Check Ross tech website for details on symptoms and cures for that code. Could it be the old code from before previous owner swapped the tb? Was it reset properly? Could try and reset it to basic with vcds (clean it first though as it needs to be spotless when you do it). Also try clear all codes (disconnect battery for a while if no vcds) and see what comes back, just to make sure they're not old codes.

As for the strange turn it off and on again process I'm not too sure, reckon someone here will have some suggestions about either clever or weird things the ecu can do when sorting itself out.

I was hoping someone would know.. there has been a little bit of an update.. I've reset it as best I can but no vcds yet :-(..

The car runs bunks hunts.. I've checked the pedal, changed the maf as I had a spare but nothing still..

The downside I'm getting now is any scanners won't connect to the ecu.. even the AA's bosch one..

It seems like things are pointing to a failing ecu.. what do people think?..

• 2 months later...

I duno who out there was following this or had thoughts on it.. but a lot of people had said my poor occy was a lemon.. even tho it was black.. well around half way through the January.. I figure it all out!.. it was a bad connection in the loom around the battery.. and had fried ecu.. so new ecu with a stage one.. and a new engine bay loom.. all for 120 and boom working lovely :-).. just thought people may like to know what happend.. and when a race day pops up I will Definitely pop along :-)..

• Like 1

. so new ecu with a stage one.. and a new engine bay loom.. all for 120 and boom working lovely :-).

£120 sound a bit of a bargain (to me) pal.. nice one  B)

Good to hear it was resolved! There's nothing worse than searching through, reading a thread that sounds just like what you are desperately trying to fix and never see an answer! agreed, cars fixed, remapped and for less than the price of a back street remap.. now to start fixing boost leeks, annoying occasional electrical gremlins, and find that rattle!