Non VAG parts

nellyboot

This week I suffered what I now realise is a very common problem on the 1.2 TSI Yeti i.e. a sudden loss of power, EPC light, traction control light and general engine warning light illuminated.

The AA man diagnosed ignition failure on cylinder no 3, and a quick search of this forum convinced me that the HT lead was most likely to blame.

Nowhere local had the genuine VAG part in stock, so I settled for a set of four leads from Euro Car Parts, and easily replaced no 3 lead. This got the car going on all four cylinders, and the dashboard warning lights were extinguished but, except when driving very gently indeed, a serious misfire persisted and I felt compelled to take the Yeti to my friendly independent garage. They fitted a new coil pack, but this didn't make any difference, so I returned next day and, after some discussion, we suspected the Euro Car Parts HT lead and ordered the genuine article from VAG. My yeti is now back to normal, and I'll be demanding a refund from ECP.

I hope this anecdote is helpful to others.

This week I suffered what I now realise is a very common problem on the 1.2 TSI Yeti i.e. a sudden loss of power, EPC light, traction control light and general engine warning light illuminated.

The AA man diagnosed ignition failure on cylinder no 3, and a quick search of this forum convinced me that the HT lead was most likely to blame.

Nowhere local had the genuine VAG part in stock, so I settled for a set of four leads from Euro Car Parts, and easily replaced no 3 lead. This got the car going on all four cylinders, and the dashboard warning lights were extinguished but, except when driving very gently indeed, a serious misfire persisted and I felt compelled to take the Yeti to my friendly independent garage. They fitted a new coil pack, but this didn't make any difference, so I returned next day and, after some discussion, we suspected the Euro Car Parts HT lead and ordered the genuine article from VAG. My yeti is now back to normal, and I'll be demanding a refund from ECP.

I hope this anecdote is helpful to others.

If one of the original leads had failed, it could have been that the other leads were not far behind,

why didn't you change the whole set when you bought them?

Yes, like they fudged the emissions readings.

So the dealerships followed suit.

Pity there wasn't a class action, of course that wold probably require a coroner's finding, knowing what we now know about VW AG management.

We hear of loads of stories about dealerships and their service sections 'not knowing' about certain documented problems. They are all in it together.

Edited by DonjSZ5

We hear of loads of stories about dealerships and their service sections 'not knowing' about certain documented problems. They are all in it together.

VAG obviously doesn't understand the power of GOOD relationships.

I would have done it as a running update for no charge during a not cheap scheduled service and told the customer how much I cared about his loyalty........but I guess I'm a bit out of date and suffer from too much vision.

• Like 3