Dash Lights Flickering ( Video Uploaded to YouTube )

Hi.

I have been having this problem with dash lights flickering for a few months now. It wasn't that bad and only used to happen when idle. Now the lights seem to have gone brighter and have been happening even when I drive. Not all the time thou. Only happens now and again. 

Cant understand what the problem could be. First assumed it was the alternator but the voltage on the battery when the car is started shows 14v so don't think it is that. 

Any one have any idea what it can be? 

I tought i would try get some help on the forum before I take it to an auto electrician and see if they can figure out what the problem is. 

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. 

Thank You 

I have uploaded a video to YouTube to show you what the problem is

https://youtu.be/eKfe2paW8BI

Edited by sulayman95

Nope the battery has not been changed as far as I am aware of. I am not sure it how old it is. A possibility it could be that 

Not checked the earth. How would I go about doing that? Is that checking the voltage of the battery using a multimeter?

Thanks

Bit of a disco going on there. Have you checked out the earth's? Also a dying battery is known to do weird things

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Had something slightly similar, but nowhere near as bad and it went after I replaced battery.

How old is your battery and have you ever changed it?

Battery is showing 12.0 Volts when engine is off. I got it wrong before 12.0 when off and 14.7 when on. Does that mean the battery is on its way out?

Thanks

One thing I will say about the Octavia is that it is very fickle when it comes to the battery.

There have been so many weird and wonderful threads on here with strange symptoms that have almost always been resolved by replacing what (on the surface) appears to be a working battery.

Bizarrely quite a few of the issues have been completely unrelated to anything electrical.

If the battery is old then for the sake of £70 it won't be a case of wasted money if it doesn't solve the issue.

One thing I will say about the Octavia is that it is very fickle when it comes to the battery.

There have been so many weird and wonderful threads on here with strange symptoms that have almost always been resolved by replacing what (on the surface) appears to be a working battery.

Bizarrely quite a few of the issues have been completely unrelated to anything electrical.

If the battery is old then for the sake of £70 it won't be a case of wasted money if it doesn't solve the issue.

Yes I'm going to change it after Christmas. Hopefully get a good deal on boxing day  :D

A normal battery should 12.6 and its only showing 12.0 so I think its probably the reason. 

Will report back once changed and tested 

• Like 1

Lots of batteries to choose from but the Varta E44 gets very good reviews on here and elsewhere. It is a Bosch S5 but without the Bosch sticker!

It is rated well too in terms of Ah and CCA (Cold Cranking Amps).

Some good deals to be had online a lot of battery for £67 delivered...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-Silver-E44-Heavy-Duty-Car-Battery-77AH-SIZE-096-with-5-year-warranty-/272027548885?hash=item3f561afcd5:g:~yQAAOxygPtS38Ow

Either way you need an '096' sized battery.

Lots of batteries to choose from but the Varta E44 gets very good reviews on here and elsewhere. It is a Bosch S5 but without the Bosch sticker!

It is rated well too in terms of Ah and CCA (Cold Cranking Amps).

Some good deals to be had online a lot of battery for £67 delivered...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-Silver-E44-Heavy-Duty-Car-Battery-77AH-SIZE-096-with-5-year-warranty-/272027548885?hash=item3f561afcd5:g:~yQAAOxygPtS38Ow

Either way you need an '096' sized battery.

Thank You will consider it. 

Also I wanted to ask, if you watch the video you see that when I turn the ignition on 6 beeps happen. Is this normal?? The service light isn't on either. Its happened since I purchased it and was curious to know if it was normal or if it was alerting me to something.

Thanks  

Low battery warning!

Did you get anything appear on the radio display?

There have been threads where people have left their doors open with the radio on etc. whilst hoovering the car and they have had the 'bongs' accompanied by the low battery warning on the radio display.

Low battery warning!

There have been threads where people have left their doors open with the radio on etc. whilst hoovering the car and they have had the 'bongs' accompanied by the low battery warning on the radio display.

Nope nothing on the radio. But yeah I believe its definitely the battery. Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Low battery warning!

Ive replaced the battery but those beeps keep coming every time I turn the ignition?

Edited by sulayman95

Really!?

That beep is only used to warn for the following:

Low temperatures (ice on the road)

Low fuel

Not wearing your seatbelt

Service required

Lights left on

I think it will be a good idea to have the car scanned for fault codes, is there anyone near you with VCDS?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

Really!?

That beep is only used to warn for the following:

Low temperatures (ice on the road)

Low fuel

Not wearing your seatbelt

Service required

Lights left on

I think it will be a good idea to have the car scanned for fault codes, is there anyone near you with VCDS?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

Ahh thats why, I put my seatbelt on then twisted the ignition and no noise lol. I normally start the car then put my seatbelt on lol

Ahh thats why, I put my seatbelt on then twisted the ignition and no noise lol. I normally start the car then put my seatbelt on lol

Forgot about that. If it bongs when you're wearing your sentient then there's a problem.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Forgot about that. If it bongs when you're wearing your sentient then there's a problem.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Sentient? You mean seatbelt? lol. Yeah no bongs while seatbelt is on so all good  :D

Now I just gotta hope no more dash light flickering. 

• 4 weeks later...