Maxxis AP2 All Season tyres. Update 2024 & Maxxis AP3.

Ootohere

Pretty damn good IMO and good value.   Worth checking out.

I have 215/40R 17 on a MK2 Fabia and they are rather good.

Had them on some snow covered ice today, and also slushy wet roads, as good as 'winter' tyres i have use in the past at twice the price these are available at.

Not may reviews online yet, but they were in the Auto Express winter tyre article.

http://tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Maxxis/All-Season-AP2.htm

(maybe a Briskoda members review here.)

Tyres to the left are 215/40 R 17

&

the 2 Summers to the right are 205/40 R17.

(punctured sadly.)

%7BfileStore.core_Attachment%7D/monthly_12_2015/post-86161-0-43736300-1451087310_thumb.jpg

%7BfileStore.core_Attachment%7D/monthly_12_2015/post-86161-0-01613600-1451087468_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

that review on tyre review is mine, done a few thousand miles in the worst storm conditions we have had for a while up here in cumbria, and they are awesome in the wet! theres not much in the way of reviews as these are BRAND NEW DESIGN, so right up to date, they beat the pirelli and bridgestone in the autoexpress review, and are great value, I cannot recomend these enough! I will write more reviews on the review site ... one for winter ice/snow conditions, and one for hot summer conditions :)

• Like 1

Cheers,  

good recommendation on them thanks.

i was pretty sure the review must be yours.  

I took a run today into the Glens to have a play in some deep snow thinking it was falling and the roads would be empty, but all i got was clear roads above freezing & very wet.

They are very comfortable tyres for a Fabia Twincharger in 215's.  and rather good on fuel.  

(steering assistance set back to standard with these on, they feel quite nice at 33 PSI all round.)

post-86161-0-64607800-1451148573_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-73802900-1451148609_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-31536600-1451148681_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-97476300-1451148790_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Done 900 miles using them now.

They are particularly good in the wet.

They are making a Mk2 Fabia vRS much more comfortable & it rattles less.  (33 psi front and rear)

215/40 R 17 have the CC / Speedo displaying 73 mph while the Sat Nav shows 70 mph.

That is through a long stretch of Average Speed Cameras.

Have a great New Year all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did a quick search and its interesting that the 215s were a few quid cheaper than the 205s.  I'm running 215s on my Reaction, and the speedo is spot on with the GPS.

I've got a set of MA-AS on some 16" wheels which I'm going to fit when I let my son loose on what will be his first car, so it's nice to hear something positive even though my pattern is an earlier version.  I think it's quite a winter biased all-season in the same vein as the Nokian Weatherproof and is even categorised as a winter by tyrereviews even though the "AS" bit is fairly obvious.

If they're only slightly better than the Z4S ("performance" 4 season) I'll be happy as the Reaction can hardly be described as a performance car.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Recommendation on the Maxxis AP2 All Seasons withdrawn.

Covered 4,500 miles since fitted, and today when check cars tyre pressures i spotted the bulge on the Sidewall just where it says 'reinforced', 

Not aware where i managed to do this in the last 500 miles since checking the pressures last week.

They have performed OK and i was intending running them into the summer.

So side wall bulge and cracking already so off they come and 16" wheel and tyres are going on for a while until 

i decide what next to fit in 17's, if i do fir 17's.

post-86161-0-72791600-1458569067_thumb.jpg

I am not blaming the tyre for the bulge, that obviously will have been an impact.

The cracking is on both front tyres after 4,500 miles and i would be taking them off soon anyway with them going that way.

They have been used hard and on some days with temps in the mid teens, but the pressures have been set correctly.

I have wrecked plenty of tyres in the past, but the tyres i use in winter usually fair quite well, 

but then there has not been much winter so speeds have been higher this year so far since Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Any photos of the cracking? I had this on some tyres on my other car and I got a full refund from mytyres. They had been OK otherwise, but time/technology helped and I replaced with Nokian Weatherproofs as the offroadability (for my drive) of the previous all-seasons was less important than the year-round tarmac ability.

Mytyres credited my for a pair of tyres, no issue there, never even wanted them back, so they are away in the shed for use when snow is in the roads next. The cracking was really just at the impact damage area. Now the car had on TIGAR Tyres for the upcoming summer. They have been great this past few days of torrential rain, freezing roads and a bit of wet snow. Pure dead 'much cheapness' at under £100 a pair fitted @ ATS Euromaster.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Quick Spring update.  I've changed from my Maxxis to CrossClimates just over a week ago so I don't have to hold back (all 69 horses) over the summer.  Very happy with the CCs so far and they may even stay on indefinitely.  I didn't want to compromise the more wintry Maxxis and perhaps suffer some hidden cracks, bulges or delamination which can happen if used aggressively outside their preferred range.  A size conversion was required but Maxxis now have more competition on Fabia sized all-seasons regardless. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

cross climates have good reviews in all conditions except snow (which we rarely get I know, but you may get more up North!) be careful if it does snow! to be fair, when i drive our lasses Abarth in the summer, i sometimes push it to the limits, and the maxxis have stood up without issue so far ... nearly 2 years on the car now!

• 2 years later...

OT.

I am now running CrossClimates on my Shogun. 

I had a good try of them yesterday in the Snow.  Traction was fine. I have used them in smaller sizes on a Fabia and Volvo S60 and also they did the job fine.

They are CrossClimate SUV's though and 265/65 R 18 instead of the OEM size which is 285/55 R 18.

DSCN3661.JPG.21162994e706519bc22ebe2eed7bcaca.jpeg

DSCN3659.JPG.cd97dc6e8c02b8ba91706dd13bcb6e0d.jpeg

DSCN4244.JPG.ff99c96394434800de91a2ad7d63bad7.jpeg

Edited by Roottootemoot

• 4 years later...

I just fitted Maxxis AP3,s and the ride on them in the totally dry but poor surface roads is nice. On an EV and no noise.

Sidewalls stronger than the AP2,s.     I might get to see how they are on snow tomorrow or by the weekend.  I expect them to work well.

They are on instead of Vrestein Quatrac Pros, and smaller rims and narrower tyres.

DSC_0635.JPG

DSC_0639.JPG

DSC_0642.JPG

DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0645.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

• Ootohere changed the title to Maxxis AP2 All Season tyres. Update 2024 & Maxxis AP3.