2011 superb estate 1.6 TDI

Zlotnik

Hi guys, new to the forum here :)

I have been a proud owner of a 2003 1.9 superb sedan. Had it for about 4 years and just loved it. But it was time to get a new car.

So i had me eyes on a Superb estate but did not have enought £ to get one.

Once visiting an auction house I have came accross a 2011 1.6 Super estate, i got me mechanic to have a look at it and everything was looking fine.

So decided to bid on it :) The mileage on the car was 121000 but it was really well looked after but no MOT.

After being I have went straight to get it MOT`d and it went thru flying did not have to fix anything.

But on the way to the MOT Centre I have notice a light smoke coming out of the engine DPF side when I was stuck on lights.

I had to stop and wait till the smoke was away to start again, that had me very worried. But once in the MOT centre the car was fine it happened once

more same day. I got the mechanic to have a go at her and he has told me that it might have been something to do with DPF and the fact that the car was

sitting for over a month not driven.

Now this has not happened yet again but I have bought the car 3 days a go and not have been able to give it a good drive yet.

Did anyone had any issues like this? And what should I looked out for ?

The car will go thru a full service + timing belt kit change  

Edited by Zlotnik

If the DPF is working correctly there shouldn't be any smoke being emitted out of the exhaust, even if it is attempting to perform a regen.

What colour is the smoke?

Black smoke = unburnt fuel. Over fueling, faulty turbo, excessive carbon build-up etc. 

Blue smoke = burning oil. Worn valve guides or seals, engine wear, incorrect oil, fuel dilution of the oil etc.

White smoke = raw diesel passing through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Faulty or damaged injectors, low cylinder compression etc.

I had white smoke on my Octavia when the injectors were faulty and this in turn damaged the DPF.

Could it be condensation in the exhaust being burnt off (like you see on a cold morning)? As has been mentioned if the car has been sat at the auction house for a while there could well be lots of water in the exhaust, especially if it has been jet washed prior to the sale etc.

It really needs a nice long journey to get everything nice and hot. Then report back...

Edited by silver1011

Well I will have the tax book on Monday then I will take it for a long drive, after we did the italian tune-up everything was going well, but i will know more after Monday

Thanks for all your help guys.