Octabus

Does anyone use one of these type things?

I'm looking at the scangauge II (eBay 201493808766) or turbogauge IV (eBay 301796041654) rather than the bluetooth/wireless phone connection type due to already having built in bluetooth handsfree kit.

Do they converse well with VAG cars?

I'm thinking as an alternative to 2" gauges under the radio, up the pillars, hanging out of vents etc... and all the plumbing & wiring & snagging that goes with them..

Simple, neat, similar pricing to quality gauges, and easily changed cars if required.

the gauge mode on the turbogauge seems to tick off the important ones, oil pressure, boost, AFR etc.. it claims to calculate power aswell, although how accurately it does this is open to question!

Thoughts, suggestions and alternatives welcome, I've seem the newer versions with HUD but I think its a bit gimmicky and don't seem to offer as much on the gauge side of things. a bonus is the ease of swapping in out quickly should I need a dtc reader for a mates car for example, or a bit of troubleshooting.

I also like the race diagnostics liquidgauge... but the Yorkshireman in me isn't too keen on the £150-£200 price tag!

function and value is priority for me even if it looks like a 90s calculator

(new thread started after trying to revive post here)

• 2 months later...

*Update*

Well, it arrived, would be a perfect fit behind the steering wheel, if only it would communicate with VAG!

So, turbogauge 4 is not a VAG lover, anyone tried a scangauge? others?

Hi,

I bought a Scangauge a couple of years ago for my Fiat Ducato based motorhome. Found it very useful.

When the motorhome was sold I transferred the Scangauge to my Skoda Roomster (as the Roomster had no temperature gauge - just a warning light)  It worked perfectly and  communicated with the OBD socket straight away.

It was only blu-tacked to the steering column but never moved and the wires could be neatly hidden away. You even get the option to match the colour of the display LEDs to match your original dashboard.

Interesting range of info can be displayed but so far I've left mine set to water temp and volts.  Only a button press to change it to whatever you want though.

It will be transferred into my new Skoda when I get it on Friday.

Clem