Painting buttons

TerryVRS

I need to paint some grey buttons in satin black, Trouble is they are backlit and would be tricky to mask accurately. 

Is there any other way to protect the illuminated part of the switch/button?

Which buttons are they?

Fitting a Passat W8 interior light. I've already painted the surround but the map light buttons need doing.

Edited by TerryVRS
  • Like 2

Fitting a Passat W8 interior light. I've already painted the surround but the map light buttons need doing.

Its a nice mod to get the W8 light fitted.

Masking will be tricky indeed; especially as the black paint may flake around the maaked area.

Not sure what else to suggest mate - unless you find someone who has found a robust and repeatable solution.

Its a nice mod to get the W8 light fitted.

Masking will be tricky indeed; especially as the black paint may flake around the maaked area.

Not sure what else to suggest mate - unless you find someone who has found a robust and repeatable solutio

I did wonder about covering the Illuminated parts with something that I could remove after painting. I had Pencil in mind but not sure if that would work.

• Like 1

I did wonder about covering the Illuminated parts with something that I could remove after painting. I had Pencil in mind but not sure if that would work.

I like your thinking...... something over the illuminated section that would repel the paint.

It's not something i've attempted; but one to research a bit more.

Might even be worth buying an adhoc button/panel to test out your ideas first and practise - before attempting the W8 panel/buttons.

I like your thinking...... something over the illuminated section that would repel the paint.

It's not something i've attempted; but one to research a bit more.

Might even be worth buying an adhoc button/panel to test out your ideas first and practise - before attempting the W8 panel/buttons.

I've got some Vauxhall spare switch gear, I shall experiment on one of them first.

• Like 1

Masking is impossible I'd say.

Options are find an alternative or paint over it like you say.

Any decals online perhaps? something you could apply after spraying/painting?

I'll keep an eye out for something.... and think of some ideas Terry.

Any decals online perhaps? something you could apply after spraying/painting?

I'll keep an eye out for something.... and think of some ideas Terry.

Decals would have to go on before painting so they could be removed afterwards to allow the light to shine through.

Decals would have to go on before painting so they could be removed afterwards to allow the light to shine through.

Sure i  know that is one option....

I was actually thinking of the back up option; a luminous decal to go on top for example.

I need to paint some grey buttons in satin black, Trouble is they are backlit and would be tricky to mask accurately. 

Is there any other way to protect the illuminated part of the switch/button?

Being an avid Model kit builder (I know, sad), there are a number of 'liquid mask' solutions available.

They are a sort of fluid, typically applied by fine brush, left to dry to a rubbery sort of finish then painted over (spray paint that is)

Once dry, carefully peel off the mask using a toothpick or similar.

A company called Humbrol do a product called Maskol, cheap to buy if it doesn't work but may be worth a try?

Being an avid Model kit builder (I know, sad), there are a number of 'liquid mask' solutions available.

They are a sort of fluid, typically applied by fine brush, left to dry to a rubbery sort of finish then painted over (spray paint that is)

Once dry, carefully peel off the mask using a toothpick or similar.

A company called Humbrol do a product called Maskol, cheap to buy if it doesn't work but may be worth a try?

Thanks Mence,

I've ordered something off ebay. It's supposed to be for model enthusiasts.

I am hoping to apply it with a wooden touch up stick....Hopefully be more accurate than a brush

• Like 1