Serious water ingress....help!

The leak is most likely all from the same source, first thing to check is the engine bay.

The plenum drains maybe blocked, and this has filled up and the water has flowed into the Pollen filter and through the heater ducts into the interior. The plenum is the area between the screen and bulkhead, to get a good view inside you may need to remove the wiper arms and scuttle covers.

Another possible source is the door membrane perishing and water is now getting in that way.

Edited by mannyo

It may also be worth rodding out the sunroof drains. I had a mk4 golf estate which left me with the exact same in car fishing pond.

You need some curtain wire - its like bike cable outer sleeve. usually white and sold with two screw in eyelets for hanging net curtains and such (a couple of quid from asda, wilkinsons etc)

The same problem left me with an in car shower over rough ground or when cornering when I had my discovery td5....

open the sunroof fully and I think the drains run into the two front corners, poke the wire in down there, expect to get in a good meter or so.

expect about 2litres of water to pour out from th bottom of the front wings!  :D

• Like 1

Also to check bottom of door cards on rear and front doors to see if wet and if water is found sitting on the sill seal just inside the doors. 

It may also be worth rodding out the sunroof drains. I had a mk4 golf estate which left me with the exact same in car fishing pond.

You need some curtain wire - its like bike cable outer sleeve. usually white and sold with two screw in eyelets for hanging net curtains and such (a couple of quid from asda, wilkinsons etc)

The same problem left me with an in car shower over rough ground or when cornering when I had my discovery td5....

open the sunroof fully and I think the drains run into the two front corners, poke the wire in down there, expect to get in a good meter or so.

expect about 2litres of water to pour out from th bottom of the front wings! :D

Good shout will try that too!

Also to check bottom of door cards on rear and front doors to see if wet and if water is found sitting on the sill seal just inside the doors.

Can't see any there, found that the cap the passenger side of the black plastic under the windshield was missing....taped it up to see I it stops!

Edited by JackRS1

If you can't see them, and there's water in there - they will be blocked!

Google would suggest the following:

CleaningSunroofDrain1.jpg

sunroof_drain_locations.jpg

Also check the outlets, seemingly rubber bits hidden around the corners of the car, that look like a fish mouth.. i've seen them on the door pillars, and in the corners of the bulkhead from under the bonnet.. giving it a wiggle/squeeze or poke it with a stick and the contents should trickle out nicely

The paranoia got the better of me - Just checked mine.

You are looking for what looks like a large posi screwdriver made of rubber. Mine were both in the hinge crease of the front doors, halfway between the hinges. the rears are the same, and hide in the floor pan behind the mudflap on each side.

Glad I checked, drivers front puked out a load of gritty gunk right down my sleeve! Guess thats been blocked for a while... 

the front inlets are as per the pics, i'm not sure how to access the rear ones, but I think it maybe easier with the sunroof tilted rather than open (go at it from inside)

Worth noting that the drains don't just serve water that has got in past the seals, but gather the massive amount of condensation that forms on the glass.

Happy poking!

The paranoia got the better of me - Just checked mine.

You are looking for what looks like a large posi screwdriver made of rubber. Mine were both in the hinge crease of the front doors, halfway between the hinges. the rears are the same, and hide in the floor pan behind the mudflap on each side.

Glad I checked, drivers front puked out a load of gritty gunk right down my sleeve! Guess thats been blocked for a while...

the front inlets are as per the pics, i'm not sure how to access the rear ones, but I think it maybe easier with the sunroof tilted rather than open (go at it from inside)

Worth noting that the drains don't just serve water that has got in past the seals, but gather the massive amount of condensation that forms on the glass.

Happy poking!

Cheers! Will get checking asap!