MK 1 Vrs Octavia Electrical problem.

Hi, The other day I had to take my sister and her cat to the vets, while I was waiting outside I decided to run the engine on my car and after about 10 mins I noticed the rev needle started to fluctuate and it sounded like the engine was going to cut out, then the ASR and ABS,AIRBAG light came on the dash, at that point I turned the engine off .

When I tried to re start the car the engine would not even turn over it was like the battery was dead, I have never had any problems like this before.

cut a long story short I had to leave the car, after 2-3 hrs I returned, and it started and i drove it home.

I started it today and ran it for twenty five mins with no problems.

Dead alternator. Or possibly a wiring fault on the power distribution block on top of the battery - this block can heat up and melt a bit, it's a well-known issue.

Either way, the symptoms are indicative of a low power supply.

First things first, get a multimeter. Check the battery voltage with the engine off (just connect the multimeter wires to the plus and minus terminals on the battery) - it should be around 12.6 volts. If it's lower than 12.2 volts, it's either very discharged, or dead.

Start the car. Check the voltage again - it should now be showing between 13.5 and 14.8 volts with the engine idling. If it doesn't change to these figures, then it is not getting a charge. This is usually because the alternator is dead, or that there's a wiring fault between the alternator and the battery. As I said, check the power distribution block which is situated on top of the battery.

Good luck!

Hi,cheers for your reply,i put a volt meter on the battery this morning and it was a bit under 12 volts, which is not great considering the battery is only six months old,the alternator seems to be charging ok, the volt meter was reading 14.2 /3 volts at idle,it looks like i might have a possible power drain some where because i also checked

with a fault code reader and it threw up the code PO562 system voltage too low  and on the airbag 00532 supply voltage b+ sporadic-signal too low.

Thanks again.

I've had something similar with mine before; the best guess as to a cause (since it clears) is the alternator clutch sticking open. If you get the fault again, try revving the engine to about 2/3 scale and lifting off sharply to shock the clutch into action.

The VRS is slightly different to the other models in that it does not have the clutch, but has a solid pulley.

I would be inclined to go with Ray Luxury-Yacht, and would turn the fuse box on top of the battery over, you will probably find it is melted where the main black cable from the alternator meets it.

This is probably also why your battery is under volts due to the poor connection and build-up of resistance

Edited by kentphil1

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update on this electrical fault,upon inspection i discovered that the wires on the small plug that plugs into the alternator were broken,i had to cut back the sheath on the wiring loom and solder in two wires to the broken wires on the loom and reconnect the new wires to the plug,car runs fine now.

Just a quick update on this electrical fault,upon inspection i discovered that the wires on the small plug that plugs into the alternator were broken,i had to cut back the sheath on the wiring loom and solder in two wires to the broken wires on the loom and reconnect the new wires to the plug,car runs fine now.

Nice work on finding the problem.