Dsg gear change

Have I got a problem with my box ? . I've got a 06 2lt octavia l&k diesel perfect car drives bang on dsg box spot on till I stop at traffic lights? Went to pull away moved but stayed in low gear and revved its butt of till I took my foot off the throttle then aplyed pressure agine all was well no problem , till a week later come to a round about seen a gap went to pull on to it moved then agine stayed in low gear and revved like hell foot off throttle start agine all is well ? I'm a bit worried now as if I have to make a quick move ie to overtake I don't won't to be left with my pants down . The car as 94400miles on clock bought the car with 86000 on clock have service book all up to date but what I did not no is you have to change the trans oil at 42000 no mention of this in the service book as it been done ?? Is there any warning lights to tell you it's time ,the car seems to have a light for every thing else all advice will be gratefully received regards oldtimer

Is it that is wouldn't change up a gear or that it felt like the clutch was slipping (as in it was revving but not going anywhere)?

The oil and filter should be changed every 40,000 miles on the gearbox. So it should have had 2 changes by now.

If you cannot get proof that it was done then I would look at getting it changed for peace of mind.

Phil

Any chance you could have selected Sport mode inadvertently? If your usual driving style is taking advantage of the torque and sticking to 2,000 to 3,000 revs in Drive mode then Sport mode might appear as thought it will never change up (it will but at uncomfortably high revs).

• Like 1

To answer phil yes it dose feel like a slipping cluch as on a manule box as i said in my post if I take my foot of the throttle then gentle apply pressure it's ok . And to answer the other member I believe you after nock the gear stick to the left in both instances i never took my hands off the wheel and it's always in drive mode auto regardes oldtimer

If it's the clutches that are slipping then I would try and ascertain whether the oil and filter has ever been changed. If it hasn't or you can't be sure it has then I would get it changed to be sure.

The reason the oil and filter changes are required on this gearbox is that the oil that lubricates the internals of the box is the same oil that is used to lubricate and operate the clutches. So over time small particles of clutch material get into the oil reducing it's ability to lubricate etc.

This was my oil on the cars first (40,000 mile) change:

DSC_0637_zpsifj2hkl5.jpg

Compared to the new oil:

DSC_0638_zpsnpno0izh.jpg

And the old vs new filter:

DSC_0636_zpsyyp48ros.jpg

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

Thank you all for all the input .Ive took the advice from Phil and book in at Mansfield Skoda on the 4th of Feb , I did ask them to check there recordes they said they will when I take the car in trust I love it ? Speaking of trust this forum costing me money been reading about stage 1 remap and the 25% of at shark took the bait get it this is were the trust comes in phoned shark ask them about the remap not knowing what a remap is they said why don't you come down and see we will install it have a drive if you like it keep it if not we take it of no problem . As there advert says you have to put a deposit down they just said see if you like it first that's trust full marks to shark at Mansfield sorry about all the waffle but it's been along time since I've been met with honesty and trust regardes oldtimer ps will update on both jobs and workmanship

Thank you all for all the input .Ive took the advice from Phil and book in at Mansfield Skoda on the 4th of Feb , I did ask them to check there recordes they said they will when I take the car in trust I love it ? Speaking of trust this forum costing me money been reading about stage 1 remap and the 25% of at shark took the bait get it this is were the trust comes in phoned shark ask them about the remap not knowing what a remap is they said why don't you come down and see we will install it have a drive if you like it keep it if not we take it of no problem . As there advert says you have to put a deposit down they just said see if you like it first that's trust full marks to shark at Mansfield sorry about all the waffle but it's been along time since I've been met with honesty and trust regardes oldtimer ps will update on both jobs and workmanship

Get the DSG Oil & Filter change done, & ask the dealer to check for any fault codes, before you have your car re-mapped.

There's no point in possibly over-stressing the DSG tranny with increased power & torque until it's working properly. 

DC

Sorry David c had remap done before your reply ask shark if it will be a problem they gave me two options take it back to them and will uninstall it then install it free off charge , but they said it shouldn't be a problem as I'm not a boy racer and won't be flooring the beast ? I must say shark at Mansfield are 110% in after sales service care . Ps had no problems with the gearbox since last reported , booked in at Mansfield Skoda on the 4th regards oldtimer

Shark also do servicing and would have done the DSG oil change cheaper than the main dealer.

We have three VAG vehicles all maintained at Shark.

Lee

Hi lee yes they told me they can do the oil change , But said as I've already book it in Skoda Mansfield it's not right to take business from them , But in future I will keep them in mined as they are proper gents ? You no you carn't fault the lads at shark Mansfield apart from you after wash your own cup if you won't a coffee.

• Like 1