Should it stay or should it go?

Afternoon all,

I'm just after some advice. I have mk 2 Vrs which is now coming up to being 5 years old. It's done 49000 miles and has a service every year with the main dealer. It's had a new clutch pack set after 3 1/2 years (replaced by original owner under warranty) a new mechatronics unit after 4 years (replaced by me under warranty) and I've just recently replaced all the brake discs and pads. Apart for from the mechatronics unit going, the cars be mechanically excellent the 2 years I've owned it but now I have a decision to make. I currently travel 5000 miles per year, but I'm moving in with my partner this year so I'm going to be traveling around 15000 miles a year. Once my car reaches 70000+ miles which could be in about 18 months - 2 years I'm concerned about the reliability of the engine due to its complex construction. Does anybody have a Mk 2 VRS that's running fine beyond 100,000 miles? Should I keep the car or trade it in for something else?

Thanks for you help

Sorry, I'm not really going to answer your question first of all...

But can I ask did the gearbox fail or what indication did it give you that it needed a new mechatronics unit? Mine is feeling a little clunkier these days and just not quite as smooth, but I'm not sure if it's a fault or not.

Mines a late 2011 CAVE w/ 30k miles.

To bring it back to your question - Personally I have little faith in the longevity of the car and am considering a change at the moment. I love it and so far it's been great, but I just hate the stress of possible high repair bills. Plus as it gets older it is using more oil! I've had it for 3.5 years, so I'm ready for a change.

Thanks for your reply Dr3w_vrs

On the trip computer where it says D1-7 when your in drive, those would flash when I was in particular gears such as D3 and D7. The morning I drove it to the garage for the replacement mechatronics unit it almost gave up completely and I had no drive in D2 & D3 but the car went into limp mode to I managed to get it there eventually albeit an interesting drive.

I'm glad it was under warranty as it would of cost £3900 to fix.

I now buy a warranty (All component cover) from skoda every year for £400 as I would rather pay that than £4K lol

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Wow 4k! That's the sort of thing that scares me! I've been out of warranty since October 2014. That's some useful info though, thanks.

I have a full Skoda dealer service history bang on schedule. So I hope if something major goes wrong there may be some sort of goodwill from Skoda considering the low miles, but that's not a given.

Wow 4k! That's the sort of thing that scares me! I've been out of warranty since October 2014. That's some useful info though, thanks.

I have a full Skoda dealer service history bang on schedule. So I hope if something major goes wrong there may be some sort of goodwill from Skoda considering the low miles, but that's not a given.

The Skoda extended warranty is very reasonable - I took it with the £250 excess (the warranty would have been about £100 more with nil excess and I felt £250 is nothing in comparison to replacing a gearbox or engine).

As much as I'm a fan I don't think the vRS would be my car of choice if I were doing 15k per annum (I do 4k) - however, high mileage ones are not unknown - I'm sure a poster on here (lol?) had just over 100k on his.