Fabia VRS broken wing mirror glass question

PeteVRS

Some ****wit smashed into my car on the way home today, causing the wing mirror to smash into the driver window and smash the mirror glass to bits, it's hanging off by the wires. They didn't even stop, when I turned around to give chase they started to drive like their car - also a Skoda Fabia Mk1 (the irony!!!) - was stolen, ducking into a housing estate, I got the number plate but decided due to the location and manner of their driving I probably DIDN'T want to actually catch up with them.

Preamble over, my question:

I realise I can pop into my local stealers and get this replaced properly, but can I do this on the cheap, specifically can I stick a £10 Halfords replacement glass in there? If so, do I need to do anything with the wires, given that I'll be going from a heated mirror to a non-heated one (don't want them to short out or anything). Or is that a bad idea?

Anyone got a rough figure for my Skoda garage to replace this? Someone said in another thread £300+ which seems crazy.

Thanks for your help everyone. I had a good look today and apart from a little bit of deformation on the lower part of the casing (it doesn't quite clip together but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it), the mirror glass clips in OK and the motor works, so indeed this is just a mirror glass swap over, I have ordered one as suggested above for around £15 including delivery.

Before being pressed back in:

post-26754-0-11683600-1454874687_thumb.jpg

On a brighter note, my exhaust emissions warning light which came on a few weeks ago went off today - the knock must have done it some good :D

I've installed two of the eBay ones on mine as heating was not working. They work fine, but I did find the sticky stuff that holds the glass to the plastic ring to be weak on one, so strengthened it up with a little superglue. Might just have had a bad unit though. Heating elements work well on the cheapie ones though, so you can't go wrong for the price

Edited by wiredsoftware