1.9 TDI Any good for remaps?

JaackBrown

Yes aslong as everthing on the car is well, a custom map will see 145-150 if your looking for all out power, I have a pd100 estate is running a custom map but with a few other supporting mods and is around the 150 mark and it pulls very well and still returns good mpg

A few upsides of pd100s is smaller lighter 5speed box, weighs less than a vrs, also if it's an early ATD engined car they run single mass g60 single mass flywheels from factory so nothing really to worry about clutch wise and the standard turbos are known to be quite strong

I have a re-map on mine and it improves the driving experience a great deal.

Other cheap things that are worth doing are rear anti-roll bar and poly bushes/seat bushes for the rear console bushes.

If you are going to shoot for the higher end of the power range then uprated front brakes and bigger/wider wheels starts to come into play.

• Like 1

I have a re-map on mine and it improves the driving experience a great deal.

Other cheap things that are worth doing are rear anti-roll bar and poly bushes/seat bushes for the rear console bushes.

If you are going to shoot for the higher end of the power range then uprated front brakes and bigger/wider wheels starts to come into play.

What do you think about the car though? Its got 200k serviced regularly but has the original turbo, will it be okay with a remap

By doing the re-map you are going to be pushing things a bit harder, but honestly things like driving style and whether you let the engine warm up before giving it full throttle and using its full rev range probably make as much difference.

My main motivation for a re-map was to have enough low end torque to drive @30MPH in 4th and reduce the hesitation present on my later generation engine. This is probably worth 8mpg in town driving conditions.

If your engine really has 200K on it with the original turbo then you are doing very well.

I think you need to consider the bigger picture and honestly assess the condition of the whole car, how you are going to drive it and what your budget is going forward.

If you intend to drive it flat out then 30% more power means more strain on suspension , drive train and brakes. 

The mods suggested come to around £500 but it is no good doing them if you then can;t run the car because something else needs replacing.

I don't think the extra hp/torque are the real issue here, the question is more about how much you want to spend on a car that has already done 200k miles. You can get a remap for £45 which makes more sense to me than £500 given the mileage. And, yes, it is very much worth doing :)

Edited by poiuytre111

A few upsides of pd100s is smaller lighter 5speed box, weighs less than a vrs, also if it's an early ATD engined car they run single mass g60 single mass flywheels from factory so nothing really to worry about clutch wise and the standard turbos are known to be quite strong

Am I right in assuming my 2001 Y reg ATD is likely to be amongst those fitted with the G60 SMF?