Heater Control Panel / Motor

Hi all

I was just wondering if someone can help me.

Got back to to my car a few weeks ago, switched the engine on and the heater control panel lights were out and the heaters/blowers didn't work.

Presumed it was a blown fuse, and subsequently replaced the fuse only to blow the fuse almost immediately.

Reading on here the main suggestions seemed to be heater motor, removing the heater motor the motor turns freely but it was looking like its seen better days so sourced a replacement rather than paying the garage quoted price of £380!!!

Fitting that today and replacing the fuse, the heater control panel lights are on, the dials appear work but the heater motor is not turning.

What do people think should be my next steps? 

Look to replace the heater control panel?

Auto Electrician?

Cheers

Mike

Have you tried it on the fastest speed position of the fan switch. If the resistor that reduces the fan speed has burned out, the fan will only work on the fastest speed setting as this bypasses the resistor. Just a thought.

Hi guys

Is there a separate resistor? 

I've got an Oct VRS 2007,  I thought on the aircon models the resistor was built in to the fan?

So far I've replaced the fan, my mate had a spare control unit which i've tried but still no joy.

I went back to the drawing board and checked all the fuses again but still no joy.

Kind of running out of ideas...

Edited by MikeHowarth

Hi mike i also have a 2007 octy vrs.my local skoda dealer in northampton also told me it is one complete unit.but lads on here said otherwise,so i took it to my little village garage (im goin to giv em a plug!!!) village autos in moulton,and within half an hour they rang to say it was the resistor that had failed,and they could get a new one but the dealerships and skoda dont tell anyone that you can get a separate one. They got mine from eurocar parts and cost approx 40 quid.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Simon

I'd love to know where this resistor lives.

I've been driving around with the glove box off for the past couple of weeks, today I found some time to have a good poke around but I'm at a total loss where to find it, the Haynes manual clearly shows the white plastic housing off the resister but that doesn't seem to match mine at all.

I even took out the pollen filter, wondering if it was integrated in to that somewhere.

Its getting really annoying now  :|

Hi Mike,

If you have full climate control, then the resistor pack is attached to the fan housing, looks like a hedgehog ie has knobbly bits on it, you can buy this separate I have a spare for mine, search on fleabay that is where I got mine from. 

Hope this helps,

Trev